UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2014, 3:08 pm   #1
Aub
Nonode

Default Scanning Publications - Rules?

Hello All,

Is it ok to scan an article from a magazine, and then post it on this forum? I'm wondering what happens regarding notices, in those magazines, about copyright, etc. Is there a time limit, so that it's ok for older publications.

Just wondered.

Thanks and regards

Aub
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 3:59 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Scanning Publications - Rules?

I think that previous discussions on this subject have concluded that, although it is a grey area, the grey is fairly pale, so to speak. It's not as though anyone has a commercial interest in the matter who is being deprived of expected income. I am sure that the moderators will correct me if I am wrong in this.

I have always been happy for my (fairly extensive) collection of "Practical" magazines to be a shared resource for the forum in this way. The most recent request of this nature would have been met with such publication had I been able to create files to satisfy the forum software's requirements.
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 4:52 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I agree with Dave M on this although I don't have the ability to scan and send just to do a paper copy. Recently someone wanted info but some Forum members are clear they don't want to "transgress", so I sent it anyway. It's possible to be too pedantic I think a 20/30 year old [or younger] article is no problem. If you copy something recently on sale that's another matter perhaps! I went into a copy shop once to get a quality colour print of a studio set up from the front page of a mag. Initially the staff felt it was "against the rules". I pointed out to the manager that it was front page of a Wireless World from 1966 [25 years previously at that point]. He said, Oh I see what you mean-no problem. More recently and in this electronic age I've never had a similar difficulty getting hard copies done. Anyway, in law, an intent to deprive someone of something has to be proved.
Dave W
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 5:09 pm   #4
Aub
Nonode

Thanks chaps!

Aub
Old 2nd Jan 2014, 5:21 pm   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

We have had a quick natter in the staff room, this response from Paul Stenning should be considered a minimum acceptable standard.

Quote:
A rule that followed the letter of the law would say no, unless it's out of copyright (70 years from death of author or something), but that's not realistic.

I'd say as long as it isn't recent (say last 5 years) and is just a single article (not a whole publication) and is of relevance to the forum it's OK, but if the publisher or author requests its removal it will be removed.

The source of the material (magazine title and date etc) should also be clearly stated.
So long as the post complies with the above we will have no problems

Cheers
Sean