UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Offered (private sellers only, exact price required, no swaps) You may announce components or sets for sale or offered free here. Private collectors only - no traders. You must include an exact price. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2017, 9:51 pm   #1
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Test Gear. TDR, Q-meters, big dummy load.

I've listed this separately to the telly.

HP140 scope frame with TDR plugin. Valve/transistor/nuvistor technology. Free

Large military HF dummy load with a group of big air cooled resistors in a cabinet including an absorption wavemeter. 20

Marconi 'Circuit Magnification meter" Q-meter with the matching high frequency signal source. 40

Marconi 'Circuit Magnification meter" Q-meter with the matching low frequency signal source. 40

The TDR/Scope was working when last powered in the 1990s. The Marconi Q meters were bought at a rally and are in good cosmetic condition, but I've never had a need to check them. They've been in the todo list. I never did find the coil set that goes with them. The dummy load is big and should do 150W upwards.

The Marconi Q meters each contain the measurement circuits for both the higher frequency bands (up to 300MHz) and for the lower frequency bands (down to 60kHz I think) It is what signal source gets connected that determines which frequency ranges measurements can be made over. I have both signal sources and two Q meters, so it makes sense to pair one Q meter with one source, and the other with the other source..

Everything is big and not suitable for carriage. I think collection or FCS may be the only viable way.

David

Last edited by Radio Wrangler; 28th Apr 2017 at 9:58 pm.
Old 28th Apr 2017, 10:06 pm   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Test Gear. TDR, Q-meters, big dummy load.

I would love the dummy load If it can take 600W carrier and also if the fcs could help in any way?
Old 29th Apr 2017, 6:49 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I'd like the HP140 if possible please David, that is if I can arrange PU and onward movement down south.
Will drop you a PM.

Andy
Old 29th Apr 2017, 7:07 am   #4
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

the dummy load has, if I remember right, four 200 Ohm resistors in parallel. Each resistor is about an inch in diameter and about eight inches long. They are in a well-ventilated cabinet using natural convection. There's no data on allowable power versus endurance.

The TDR is a fast one, essentially a step-recovery diode pulse generator allied with a sampling scope. I've used it for measuring discontinuities in controlled-impedance tracks on printed circuit boards and I've used it for checking drums od coax for damage. It uses GR874 hermaphrodite RF connectors (the General Radio interlocking petals ones)

I'll try to get some photos taken this weekend. The things are well-buried.

David
Old 30th Apr 2017, 6:11 pm   #5
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

I've dug out the dummy load. It looks to be NOS, military, never used in anger.

"dummy load electrical 5985-99-950-6264" with an N-connector input, a BNC cal input and an attenuated output on a BNC. No clues as to power rating but it's rather big, 260mm wide, 280mm tall and 440mm deep, plus handles and knobs Photo taken, but I'll get some more dug out before downloading the camera card.

I've found TWO 140 scope mainframes. One has the TDR plugin, the other has no plugins. Both are round tube types. I only remember having one!

David
Old 30th Apr 2017, 10:48 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Photos time.

First up is the big dummy load. I gave the dimensions earlier, but the N-connector sets the scale.

I'm not sure whether this is taken or not. Hamish Boxer has expressed interest, but conditional on it being able to handle 600W carrier. The nato number doesn't get a Google hit at all and I have no clues as to its rating. Knowing what the military had kicking around at the era this is from I'd guess it was intended to take 125W til the cows come home. Each resistor inside is the size that Americans use for a kilowatt when oil cooled. What its endurance would be at higher powers would not be long as the thermal mass isn't great. I think it's not going to last long at that power, so I think it's still available for anyone who thinks it would do. 20

Second photo is a Marconi TF1245 TF1245 'Circuit Magnification Meter' or Q meter to everyone else, with its companion signal source TF1246 bolted to the side of it.

The TF1245 Q meter has both a high frequency section (20-300MHz the small gold terminals) and a low frequency section (40kHz to 50MHz the large gold terminals). The TF1246 signal source covers 40kHz to 50MHz. So this setup covers 40kHz to 20 MHz. Complete with the special 25 Ohm low impedance link cableBought at the G-QP convention a lot of years ago and never tried. 40

Photo 3 Shows the Panasonic TX32PD30 Quintrix Acuity TV set. Fabulous picture, very good sound indeed. Very heavy. Free including matching stand and Panasonic TU-CT30 freeview box.

Out of sight below it is the Panasonic hard-drive/DVD recorder. Also free and includes a box of DVD-RAM discs, some unused and sealed.

Andy (Dr Wobble) may have spotted the speaker to the right with its peerless KO40 midrange now sporting a brand new foam surround.

Photo 4 is another Marconi TF1245 Q meter, this time with a FT1247 signal source bolted to it. So this setup covers 20 to 300MHz. Complete with the special 25 Ohm low impedance link cable. Bought at the same time at the G-QRP convention, never tried, it's just sat on the round tuit pile. 40

The money will be donated to the Kingdom Amateur Radio Soc.... They have a partially collapsed roof on their clubhouse to finish fixing.

I'll put the scope pictures in the following post.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearout1 001.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	141886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearout1 002.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	141887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearout1 003.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	141888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearout1 004.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	141889  
Old 30th Apr 2017, 11:08 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

More photos

Photo 5 is the underside of a spare HP140 scope mainframe. You can see TO-3 transistors, TO-5, and TO-18. If you look at the bottom left by the three pots, the silvery thing is a Nuvistor in its socket. This unit has no outer covers I bought it as a spares donor, but never took anything off it.

Photo 6 is the front of the spares HP140. There is a small bite knocked out of the crt bezel at about 7-oclock. Going for free.

Photo 7 is the front of the better HP140 frame with the TDR plugin in it. It's ex NATO and has a Plessey mark 4 mains connector on the front, but someone before me has grafted a C14 receptacle on the back. The plessey connector is still wired so the pins must be live. I screwed a spare connector on as a protector, but that was long ago used to restore something else. It needs disconnecting before use. It has side covers, but the top and bottom covers are missing and there are nasty voltages inside. I used this in the 1990s and it worked properly The CRT was good, crisp and bright. It's been stored since. It's a fast sampling scope type TDR with GHz bandwidth. Timescales range from 100 picoseconds/division up to 200 nanoseconds/division. I have the two GR874 elbow connectors it needs. Free

Andy (Dr Wobble) wants this so it's his if he can arrange transportation.

Photo 8 shows the underside of the TDR system. It's clean and the Nuvistor is in place, as is the one in the plug-in.

Photo 9 shows the topside of the TDR unit.

Proceeds will be donated to the Kingdom Amateur Radio society to help fix the roof.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearout1 005.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	141890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearout1 006.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	141891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearout1 007.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	141892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearout1 008.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	141893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearout1 009.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	141894  

Old 7th May 2017, 10:05 am   #8
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

The 140 scope stuff is going to Andy (Dr Wobble) one way or another.

Hamish has first call on the dummy load if he wants to try it for power handling.

No-one's interested in the Quintrix TV or the HD/DVD recorder, so I guess they're heading for the dump sometime. Seems a shame.

There's also been no interest in the Q meters. I don't think I'll ever need them, so I guess they'll get boiled down for parts... unless someone wants them as a freebie?

David
Old 7th May 2017, 11:49 am   #9
Andrew Sinclair
Triode

I have been looking for a Marconi Q meter for some time...
I have an Advance T2 that gets a lot of use, but is not very accurate.
I only need 1 Q meter, but it would be nice to have both oscillators.
Can I make an offer for the 2 Q meters?
The only problem is that I live on the south coast and could not collect.
Andrew

Mod edit: Negotiation via PM please
Old 7th May 2017, 5:50 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Yours, Andrew.

David

Just that gorgeous TV to go....
Old 7th May 2017, 8:25 pm   #11
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I would like the dummy load, paying is easy but not sure about getting it South.
Old 13th Jun 2017, 11:55 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

The dummy load is now with Hamish Boxer
The scopes are in S Yorks hoping for a lift to Andy
I moved the Q meters down to my brother in Liversedge. Andrew is trying to find a FCS passage for them.

So, I've still got this gorgeous telly to find a home for. (complete with a set top box and a hard-drive plus DVD recorder to match) No takers?]

David
Old 26th Jun 2017, 6:26 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

It looks like the Q meters are spoken for.

There is just that superb Quintrix acuity TV. Probably the CRT TV's swan song. Free! Includes matching hard drive + DVD recorder!

No-one interested?

David