UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Aug 2018, 3:28 pm   #41
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron Ether Conqueror valuation

Don't worry about the download. I bought the booklet 25 years ago while I was a student, scanned it myself a few years ago, and it's hosted by Paul Stenning, the guy who's website this is, and a man who takes internet security very seriously and understands it in-depth

The link is taken from this page of one of his vintage radio sites: https://www.vintage-radio.info/books

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 10th Aug 2018 at 3:34 pm.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 3:38 pm   #42
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Nick, McAfee doesn't like that link either As I said, I will download on my laptop later, looking forward to discovering more.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 4:11 pm   #43
paulsherwin

As I said earlier, it has probably blacklisted the whole site.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 4:23 pm   #44
ukcol
Rest in Peace

I have McAfee on my system (only because it is part of my ISP package). It doesn't flag it up as dangerous when I try to download it. However, I have downloaded no end of files from this forum and no doubt my computer has "learnt" that the site is safe.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 4:39 pm   #45
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Colin

Mine seems to flag up quite a lot of stuff, I pay yearly for it so could it be that it has some higher security levels?
Old 10th Aug 2018, 4:40 pm   #46
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendymac View Post
Thanks everyone, you have been very helpful, my son is an electrician and has told me under no circumstances am I to try and plug it in.
Interesting to note the modifications, was told it had never been touched!
Perfect advice!

There are some small, cheap components known to degrade over years, used in places where in their degraded state they can cause damage to some much more expensive and harder (if not impossible) to find parts.

So the sensible approach is to test these parts, replace if necessary and only then start bringing the thing up into operation.

You've just found an old Bugatti in the barn you inherited from your wild uncle. Before putting petrol in it and attaching jump leads, it may be wise to give it fresh oil. It may be dry.... that sort of thing.

In another analogy, the amplifier and those output valves are seen like rhino horns by some people. This attracts all sorts of charlatans and con-men as well as some who really believe in magical properties.

This group is particularly sane as enthusiasts' groups go. If you think of getting anyone from on here to do anything, you can look through all the history of their past posts and the discussions around them. You can work out what their interests are and it makes fakery very hard to hide.

The risk is of someone not involved here finding your gram via a search engine, joining the group quickly in order to send you a private message making you an offer. The moderators are pretty efficient at jumping on these people, but they could do damage before they are spotted.

You have a rare item in unusually good condition. But it is yours to do with as you please. People on here just don't want to see you exploited. If you take your time and check up on people, you should be safe. Think of it as a magnet for poachers.

David
Old 10th Aug 2018, 4:57 pm   #47
wendymac
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks David

Yes, I found a similar group for the Dynatron TV and that's how I found you lovely lot.

Great advice from all and gratefully received.

Many thanks everyone

Have a great weekend

Wendy
Old 10th Aug 2018, 5:02 pm   #48
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Re: Post #11 and in the interests of dating the modification, it's a Garrard RC121 mk2, 4 speed autochanger which would have been fitted during 1958/1959, but possibly not as late as 1960.
Oops! My mistake, I should have taken a better look at the photo.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 6:11 pm   #49
PJL
Dekatron

I think it only correct that we provide accurate information so you can make your own mind up. Your radiogram looks in good original condition complete with Mazda PP3/250's. The deck may have been changed but the original would have been of little value as it would have been 78 only and could easily be replaced. I would guess it's value is £1500+ and it would normally be broken up and the components sold on ebay usually to go overseas.

Having said that, I am sure quite a few people on this forum have similar radiograms and they would not have paid that for them. My Decca Decola came from a local auction and costs <£200. The vast majority of regular contributors to the forum are genuine enthusiasts and would not consider breaking it up but those having the space for this may be limited. You can easily check forum members interests by searching for previous posts using the search feature.
Old 10th Aug 2018, 7:14 pm   #50
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I don't know about this McAfee business but I did get a threat warning from Avast earlier. I don't know whether I'd tried to download at that point but neither of those links work for me [not that it's a problem for me anyway].

Dave W
Old 11th Aug 2018, 9:56 am   #51
Nanozeugma
Heptode

I think every aspect of the situation has been comprehensively covered and would not benefit from repeating, so will only add that it is absolutely gorgeous.
Old 11th Aug 2018, 11:30 am   #52
Michael Maurice

I have only just seen this thread. I have serviced a couple of these over the past 4 years or so, The original deck would probably have been a Garrard RC72. That said, there’s nothing wrong with the RC120 fitted here.

I’m not interested in buying this but I would love to restore it for you, indeed I can do most if not all the restoration in your home with you watching me, if you like!

I’m going to send you a PM.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread