UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2009, 12:23 pm   #1
HB9TVZ Paul
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Kenwood TS 700

Hello, I am a newcomer, I have purchased on the local radio-amateur secound hand fleemarket, last week a very nice looking old TS 700 ( without a letter G or any other added letter ) just simply a TS 700.
The receiver works fine, but the TX does not give any signal. I have good Wattmeters, one from Kenwood and one from Bird, a US-Wattmeter with the correct 50 Ohm dummyloads. I am therefore sure that no signal comes out. I have a handbook and diagramms, the documentation is in very nice condition as well as the mechanical analog display TRX TX 700 looks very nice.
At first glance I suspectected that the final Transisters have gone bad, the 2N5642 and the one before, the driver 2N5641.
Does any body have a good idea to help out in terms of what I should check first to repairr the TRX. I have an Osciloscope + HF-Voltmeters and all the rest, what is needed to make proper HF measurements.
Thanks in advance and with kind regards. Paul
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 3:31 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Kenwood TS 700

Plug in the VOX socket? TX crystal fitted?

Failing that you'll have to start at the oscillator and work through the subsequent stages to the antenna socket.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Nov 2009, 1:41 pm   #3
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Kenwood TS 700

Just a quick supplement Graham's Post above.

I appreciate that you have a selection of RF test equipment, but don't overlook the importance of checking the d.c. conditions around the circuitry first. When these are correct, then that is the time to dig in with the RF test kit.

Al. / Skywave.
Old 5th Nov 2009, 7:00 pm   #4
dodgy-dxer
Heptode

Default Re: Kenwood TS 700

Hi

I hesitate to state the obvious but did you have the rig in FM (or AM?) mode?

If it is in SSB then there will not be any output power until you speak into the mic.

73 Fred
A65BD
Closed Thread