UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Feb 2016, 3:01 am   #21
joebog1
Banned

Default Re: Semiconductor diode markings.

My fathers philosophy question always was:
What frequency is magnetism
IS it DC and static? OR moving at light speed and we cant measure it?
My father held degrees in engineering from all over the world, but alas was born in 1906.
NONE of his professors in France, Poland, Britain or Australia, ( where his various degrees were earned) could even consider the question ( back then).

Its funny about that, Horatio!!

With best wishes and regards to all that DONT consider me crazy,
And to those that do, as well

Joe
Old 4th Feb 2016, 7:26 am   #22
joebog1
Banned

Sorry mods!!!
WAY off topic

Joe
Old 4th Feb 2016, 11:16 am   #23
Station X

All very interesting I'm sure, But I don't need to know any of this to know what a semiconductor diode does and which way to connect it in a circuit. It's also useful to know that it has a forward volt drop.

As far as I'm concerned current flows from positive to negative in the direction of the arrow. That may be carp, but it's worked for me every time.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 4th Feb 2016, 11:59 am   #24
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul sherwin
Electrons themselves don't move, but weak nuclear force energy does, a bit like those old Newton's Cradle executive toys that people used to have on their desks.
Electrons do move, but only slowly for typical DC currents. The weak nuclear force is a completely separate issue; in electronics we are only interested in the electromagnetic force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler
In a fit of dodgy logic it was declared that this proved the electrom was both a particle and a wave at the same time.
The usual explanation is that if you ask an electron a particle-like question it will give you a particle-like answer. Similarly for a wave-like question. This sidesteps the question of what an electron is. I think the best answer to that is that an electron is an electron. You can't break it down any further because there is nothing to break it down into. You could say that an electron is exactly like a light muon. What is a muon? It is exactly like a heavy electron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1
My fathers philosophy question always was:
What frequency is magnetism
The question is meaningless. That may be why people would not (indeed, could not) answer the question. It is like asking "How long is string?".

Getting back to diodes, they should not be marked with + or - as that is a circuit issue. They should be marked to indicate anode/cathode as that is a diode issue.
Closed Thread