UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2019, 11:26 am   #1
trabant
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips 834A Superinductance condenser block help.

I have a supposedly professionally restored 834a previous owner had been charged £300! To get it going anyway due to a particularly nasty hum I decided to investigate random caps plonked in all over the place a mains tx where you could shift the laminations like a deck of cards hence the hum . The large condenser block had been bypassed and the wiring cut about to suit the bodging I have now sorted the TX sorted the bodged mains smoothers and dismantled and rebuilt the condenser block with new caps. However I really need to know how the original wiring to it would have looked . I have three different schematics for the set but no visual reference as to how the solid wires to the block were connected so an underneath photo of an 834a chassis would be a great if anyone can oblige.
Old 13th Aug 2019, 1:57 pm   #2
EdWilliams
Triode

Default Re: Philips 834A Superinductance condenser block help.

I believe the 834A used the same chassis as the slightly later 274A.

There are some good photos for the 274A in Sideband's thread entitled 'Philips Superinductance 274A' from October 2006. Using the site search engine should find it.

Ed
Old 13th Aug 2019, 2:03 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips 834A Superinductance condenser block help.

It's here. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...uperinductance

As mentioned, the 834 is a 'restyled' 274. The circuits should be the same or very very close. The first picture in the sequence shows the cap block before removal. The subsequent one shows it after repair and refitting. Can't believe that was back in 2006. The set is still working well and now has a replacement output valve so is even better than when I first restored it.