UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 28th May 2019, 7:56 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Spalding & District Amateur Radio Rally - Sunday 2nd June 2019

This coming Sunday it's the The Spalding Amateur Radio Rally, first held in the early 1970’s. Until last year it was was held at the Sir John Gleed School, which is now an Academy and no longer hosts third party events. Spalding & District Amateur Radio Society have had to find new premises and the new location is:

Holbeach United Youth FC,
Pennyhill Road,
Holbeach,
Lincs,
PE12 7PR.

http://sdars.org.uk/spaldingrally/

I don't have any connection with this or any other amateur radio organisation, but as we lived in Spalding back in the late 1960s, my wife and I use the rally as an opportunity to visit friends, so I'll be there on Sunday, will wear my name badge, and maybe happen across a few other forum members.

Hope that might be of interest.
Old 28th May 2019, 10:01 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Spalding & District Amateur Radio Rally - Sunday 2nd June 2019

I see no dogs are allowed... it always annoys me when unnecessary bans are made like this. Dogs are allowed in pubs and pub gardens where food is served without any risks to health so why they are banned from a field is beyond me! Elf an safety gone mad as usual!
I think most dog owners these days are responsible.
When I grew up in the 1970's there was far more dog (and horse) poo on the streets than there is now, no one died...
Moan over, I doubt I will miss much!
Rich.
Old 29th May 2019, 8:08 am   #3
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidertogrid View Post
I see no dogs are allowed... it always annoys me when unnecessary bans are made like this. Dogs are allowed in pubs and pub gardens where food is served without any risks to health so why they are banned from a field is beyond me! Elf an safety gone mad as usual!
I think most dog owners these days are responsible.
When I grew up in the 1970's there was far more dog (and horse) poo on the streets than there is now, no one died...
Moan over, I doubt I will miss much!
Rich.
I hear you. I wanted to bring my pet Tiger, he's friendly. Can't see the problem with it.
Old 29th May 2019, 8:33 am   #4
FIXITNOW
Octode

its a 9.30Am start time and about 33 miles from me so I shall go
Old 29th May 2019, 8:44 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

If there isn't a clause "except for guide dogs" they could be digging a very deep pit for themselves.

David
Old 29th May 2019, 8:47 am   #6
Goldie99
Heptode

I'm not certain, but I think the "playing fields" referred to may actually be the football pitches, I don't think there's an open field there as such (I drive past it almost daily).

There's also a warning on the SDARS Rally link in David's post above, re. the A17 / Pennyhill Road junction, just near the rally site - I'd advise anyone attending to check it, it IS a very bad junction, with regular accidents.
Old 29th May 2019, 10:13 am   #7
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
If there isn't a clause "except for guide dogs" they could be digging a very deep pit for themselves.

David
I cant see how they're digging a pit. To he fair not everyone are dog lovers. Plenty of other events which allow dogs and plenty of people will attend without dogs.
Old 29th May 2019, 10:16 am   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The reason is clearly stated in large red letters on the SDARS site - the venue is a youth football club:

"Please note that as the rally is being held on playing fields used by young people, dogs are not permitted anywhere within the site including the car park".

Unfortunately, not all dog owners are responsible. One in five recreational areas in England report that dog fouling is a problem, and poses serious health risks of toxocariasis.

https://www.kingdom.co.uk/articles/i...g-dog-fouling/

Back on topic, I've always enjoyed this rally, have been many times over the years and it sounds as though there will be just as much space for tables in the open as there was at the previous venue, where there were lots of outside stalls. Entry to the Rally is £3.00, and for tables booked by the end of April, the tables cost £8.00 including entry for two people, so that's just £2.00 for the table.

Weather forecast is good too!

Hope to see a few forum members there - saw Christopher, 'High Vacuum House' last year - rather a long way from home!
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 7:17 am   #9
FIXITNOW
Octode

found a few bits so glad I went
an Advance Q meter type T2
and a nice old Russian tester meter U4313 that I could not resist at a pound

and an assortment of odds and ends
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Advance T2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	184355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Russian test meter.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	184356  
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 8:09 am   #10
Radio Wrangler

Two good finds.
I think those Russian multimeters have a taut-band movement, and Q meters are great for measuring RF inductance at the actual frequency of interest.

David
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 9:31 am   #11
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The weather was very favourable and there were far more stands than I'd imagined. Loads test gear of all types in various states of disrepair and hard not to resist. Lots of second-hand receivers, transceivers, antennas etc for anyone so inclined. A lot of effort for a small club in a small rural town to organise, deserving of much credit.

The blustery wind was very welcome or it would have been sweltering.

Had my badge on, but only came across one forum member - Christopher - High Vacuum House (again!).

A few pics attached. (There was a small indoor hall too). The rally was very well attended as was evident from the large number of cars. The first pic shows just a part of the car park and was taken from where I had to park, quite a long way from the entrance, having arrived at 10.30am to find the rally in full swing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Park.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	184361   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	184362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic3.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	184363  
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 11:30 am   #12
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Didn't see you there David. I had Janet's car as mine was hit and written off on 30 May. So, I couldn't take much at all in her immaculate little 208. Your middle picture is the stand that had all the test gear. Some nice bits as well very cheap. It was a shame that on the Saturday afternoon the site owners put up the tape barrier to keep all pitches clear. This had not been a condition for the club until then. This severely restricted the car boot area compared with last year and also meant visitors had further to carry their goodies to the car, compared with last year. Some I spoke to blamed the club for the congestion, but I tried to give them the true facts!
Rob
A nice day and had quite a few natters. Back home by 1pm though.