UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Sep 2023, 9:02 pm   #1
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Arduino based MK14 emulator

I'm probably a little bit behind the curve these days but I have just noticed this shortish Youtube video featuring an Arduino based hardware emulation of the MK14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9qNae5m3w
Old 21st Sep 2023, 10:02 pm   #2
Phil__G
Octode

Default Re: Arduino based MK14 emulator

Yep, been talking to Johannes, its a work in progress but very impressive. Last time we spoke he still had some SC/MP instructions to add to the emulation, but that was before my camping trip, might be complete by now
Old 5th Oct 2023, 6:28 pm   #3
dadecoza
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I'm probably a little bit behind the curve these days but I have just noticed this shortish Youtube video featuring an Arduino based hardware emulation of the MK14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9qNae5m3w
I found this forum while looking for some example code for testing the Arduino based emulator and noticed your thread title and for a moment I thought there were already an Arduino based emulator but then realized you stumbled upon mine! *phew*

There were some updates since the video.

https://github.com/dadecoza/Ardu14
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ardu14.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	286046  
Old 6th Oct 2023, 8:28 am   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Hello (Johannes, I presume?) - nice to have you here with us. Good work with the Arduino emulator! This section of the forum has many, many threads devoted to the MK14 and the SC/MP, if only you can find enough time to read them all...
Old 6th Oct 2023, 9:19 am   #5
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

One thing I notice about the latest update is that it has added 1K of memory between 0200-0600. In real life, a RAM expansion fitted in this area would usually occupy the space between 0200-07FF, so 1.5K, but I don't know if the 1K you have added is a limitation imposed by the amount of physical RAM the Arduino you are using has?
Old 6th Oct 2023, 9:45 am   #6
dadecoza
Diode

[QUOTE=SiriusHardware;1591136]One thing I notice about the latest update is that it has added 1K of memory between 0200-0600. In real life, a RAM expansion fitted in this area

I made some changes to try and get Pico Basic working ... but you are correct the 328p based Arduinos only have 2K of RAM and I need to use some of that for the emulator itself ... I will probably revert the memory map back to the unexpanded version with only the option memory added ie. a total of 512 bytes.

I were able to get pico basic running but without the program memory it is pretty useless.

I did contemplate to use some of the flash memory as program storage for Pico Basic but decided against that ... we don't want too many write cycles in flash.
Closed Thread