UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Oct 2021, 8:25 pm   #1
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default Background Picture Noise With Panasonic TV?

Every now and again I use a Panasonic TX-21V2 which was given to me by a neighbour in 2019. It was made in 1994.

I've noticed that there is a fair bit of noise/fuzziness in the picture no matter what input is used. I also see the same thing with no input. It gives the picture a 'jittery' quality.

I tried to take some photos but I don't think the camera captures the issue.

Is this normal for CRT televisions? The last time our main TV was a CRT was 2010 so I can't remember how things were.

Thank you!
Old 6th Oct 2021, 12:03 am   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Background Picture Noise With Panasonic TV?

A bit of noise is possible using the aerial input but I wouldn't expect any at all using "AV", I think this set is capable of using composite, RGB, and Y/C (S-Video).

It's difficult to advice without seeing the fault, could you take a short off-screen video and upload it to Google Photos, Youtube, or similar?
Old 6th Oct 2021, 6:33 pm   #3
Tester.
Triode

IME, quite a few models from that era seemed to leak/leave the last tuned channel "in the background", as a byproduct of the bidirectional nature of the SCART connector.

On lesser/cheaper units, this was unavoidable and quite noticeable... but better, fully insolated SCART cables helped to a degree. And normally, the RCA inputs (if present) were less affected or not at all.

Anyway, the easy solution was always having an aerial (or modulator) connected and a channel tuned in. (Ideally, with a black background to avoid the 'leakage' of high-contrast images.)
Old 7th Oct 2021, 1:35 pm   #4
OldTechFan96
Octode

I'll try taking some videos if these pictures don't illustrate the problem.

The first photos show a PS2 connected via RGB SCART. The PS2 itself is set to output RGB. The game shown is using a 60Hz video mode.

I agree with both both Rambo and Tester that noise from the tuner could be leaking into other inputs. I think this is what I see when there is no input. I'd expect the screen to be solid black, but it isn't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	242906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0129.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	242907   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	242908   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	242909   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	242910  

Old 7th Oct 2021, 2:09 pm   #5
Tester.
Triode

Yep, it seems your TV 'leaks'. That 'black screen w/ noise' is the telltale sign you would see on those models.

Do you have a VCR or anything with a modulator that you can connect to the 'aerial in'? Try tuning to their channel and then select the SCART input; the noise pattern should disappear.
Old 7th Oct 2021, 11:32 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester. View Post
IME, quite a few models from that era seemed to leak/leave the last tuned channel "in the background", as a byproduct of the bidirectional nature of the SCART connector.

On lesser/cheaper units, this was unavoidable and quite noticeable... but better, fully insolated SCART cables helped to a degree. And normally, the RCA inputs (if present) were less affected or not at all.
Yes I agree.
To the OP, try a different SCART cable, the thick ones are the ones that are likely to have individually screened signal wires (good) and the thin ones are likley to be prone to crosstalk. (bad).

If you can't find a better cable, try cutting the wire on pin 19 on the TV end of the SCART cable.
Old 8th Oct 2021, 9:53 am   #7
Sideband
Dekatron

Surely you can just prove it's the cable by pulling it out and running the TV 'blank' as it were with no inputs. Should give a clean raster then.

I found that the flat Scart leads were better than the round ones, easier to manipulate and each connection was screened. As mentioned, the thicker Scart leads are better than the thin ones but are rather cumbersome.
Old 8th Oct 2021, 12:29 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If that doesn't help you could do as Sideband suggests and see if the SCART cable is your problem. If there's still hash, then easiest to disable the input to the AV switching chip provided you don't want the RF input, of course.
Old 10th Oct 2021, 10:45 pm   #9
OldTechFan96
Octode

I connected up a VCR via RF to see if signal is bleeding into the SCART input. The Matsui VCR has a switchable test pattern which was used in place of a video tape. Once the test pattern was on I switched to the SCART input.

With the pattern on the fuzz clears up. There is some rolling bars in the background. Presumably from the VCR.

The fuzz comes back once the test pattern is switched off.

I'll disable the RF modulator and see if anything changes.

I think the picture could be sharper. I've had a look at the service manual and it does not give any setup details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuzzy.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	243088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clear.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	243089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bars.jpg
Views:	51