UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jul 2011, 3:51 pm   #21
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Battery Boxes.

But this is a new design of set. 10AH is 12 to 14 hrs filament supply
About x3 as many valves as traditional battery set. The pair of valves for Loudspeaker push-pull and TX RF PA use 220mA each. The rest of the valves are 16mA, 24mA, 54mA or 60mA depending on type. I might run 3 x D cells, one each for the two o/p pentodes and one for rest of radio. That would give 35 to 40hrs. (Target is a few days use between charges)

Yes. Fuse absolutely. Also software based "turbo" chargers are interesting to debug!

Some radios did originally have an LT box with 6 x D cells. But being Zinc Carbon, they probably less than one Modern Alkaline or NiMH D Cell.

The only LSD high Capacity D Cell (10AH) I found so far is about $12 plus postage and import tax/VAT. Each. Still, if you get 200 to 400 cycles it's a lot cheaper than Alkaline? ( Frankly I ignore claims of 1000 cycles).

I looked again at "giving in" and hiding an inverter in a battery box. But because it's such a meaty radio design, and not a simple "Lady Margaret" (4 valves?) you end up needing 4x or 6x 10AH D cells. The 2500mA AA are simply "best value" Watt Hour vs money you can get. AAA cost nearly as much and are 1/2 capacity or less. C cells cost 2x as much each (4/5ths Watt.Hour value) and "real" D cells are nearly x12 as much each (1/3rd Watt.Hour value).

BTW all the comments appreciated.

Last edited by neon indicator; 1st Jul 2011 at 4:00 pm.
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 3:33 am   #22
batterymaker1
Heptode

I can get you all the data you need.

Grief is not the issue. Aggravation is.

Dealing with anything involving my Mom's life is like taking a trip to the magical land of "Wha' Th' Hell" because anyone she dealt with--businesses, doctors, lawyers, bankers--are inclined to be jerkies.

So, I'm trying to end all of the services she had--telephone, heat, light, water, and with these folks, you have to spend twenty times more energy getting things done. Because they're not Yes people. They're not even No people...they're HELL NO people.

As a result, I'm not building anything as of yet.

But I can shower you with data and scans.

Throw me a private message, and I'll redirect you to my email address.

Bill
Old 2nd Jul 2011, 8:30 am   #23
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Bill / batterymaker1

I've decided the problem is partly philosophical than engineering.

I can make and pack boxes and fill them entirely with batteries or partially and put inverter(s). I've even considered a pair of 12V 7AH Lead Acid Gel, or 1 x 12AH Lead Acid Gel (11.5V parallel via diodes, 24V or straight 12V).

Suitcase is strong tan leather and 45+ years old and looks about 5 years old. Used by my Grandfather as a lunch box when he went fly fishing.

Internal size is 11 x 23.5 x 37.5 cm (4.25" x 9.2" x 14.75"), with inside of lid rest on edge when closed.

I have a nice 8" speaker and printout correct scale of pye sunrise+ clouds (that I will cut with my router).

I thought it would be nice to use a real (though rechargeable) replica 1950s battery pack(s) for my imaginary alternate past 1950/1960 Russian sub-miniature valve powered radio receiver/transmitter.
Old 3rd Jul 2011, 8:18 pm   #24
broadgage
Nonode

Alkaline cells can in practice be paraleled, though suppliers advise against so doing. Any slight mismatch in voltage whilst standing idle can result in one cell charging another.
This can be avoided by only paraleling the cells whilst on load, switch the LT supply by a 3 pole switch such that the 3 alkaline D cells are only connected together whilst on load.

AFAIK "super F" rechargeables are available in 14 A/H which might help.
3 alkaline D cells if paraleled would be about 50 A/H.
Old 31st Jan 2015, 5:53 pm   #25

Default Battery data and socket diagrams

Found a wonderful secondhand book shop today (The Cottage Book Shop, Penn. HP10 8LB) bought some books and one of them (Simple Remote Control) had this towards the back...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Batteries.pdf (1.34 MB, 672 views)

Old 31st Jan 2015, 6:00 pm   #26
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Battery connexions

A good reference resource, a sticky perhaps ?

Lawrence.
Old 31st Jan 2015, 7:27 pm   #27
mole42uk
Nonode

Default Re: Battery data and socket diagrams

Fabulous! Thanks, a super resource..

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 31st Jan 2015, 8:35 pm   #28
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

See also www.blaukatz.com
I hope eventually to have everything 1887 to 1967 on it including labels, spec, connections and how to replicate.

Connector page for batteries http://www.blaukatz.com/tables/alldry-cells-batteries/
also http://www.blaukatz.com/tables/old-m...aid-batteries/

I've only just figured how I want to do the individual batteries
http://www.blaukatz.com/tables/alldr...ries/spec-ad1/
The label to print, construction details and such will be added on these sort of pages.

I have a lot of stuff in spreadsheets and nearly 50 replica types made. Also loads of catalogues (bought some of eBay from USA and UK). So lots of work to do. Any keen battery replicator/collector want to join forces and help?

Sorry lots of broken links as I was experimenting.

All suggestions for improvements welcomed. The connector pages combine three different sources.
I have an Exide catalogue on its way. Also I have old US Eveready, US Burgess and some UK Ever Ready.

Last edited by Mike. Watterson; 31st Jan 2015 at 8:46 pm.
Old 31st Jan 2015, 9:19 pm   #29
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Here is cleaned version of PDF as 300dpi PNG (fits on A4 or letter in Landscape)
Click image for larger version

Name:	connectors_radioConstructor.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	103514

I could probably get better scanning the original on my Document management Scanner.

I think most of this may be in the 1968 Choride Exide Dry Battery and Torch Catalogue I expect next week, so I may be able to upload a better image.

Contact me if you need any labels. I can add them on Blaukatz. I also can print on Colour Laser at cost for anyone that can't print colour. The inkjet prints are not very robust to damp etc.

Last edited by Mike. Watterson; 31st Jan 2015 at 9:26 pm.
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 9:27 pm   #30
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Battery box and socket details.

Note the forum has resized that small. I can email the full size 2754 x 2019 or put it on www.blaukatz.com
Old 4th Feb 2015, 4:03 pm   #31
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Here is 1978 Chloride Exide Catalogue connections. The Catalogue had Winner 9 Grid Bias, B101 (the small valve portable like Philips and Vidor Vagabond), B104, B126 (for the hat box portables, LT AD28, AD4 and AD35 all in LT section) and B136 for Sky Queen, Prince, King, Lord. No pack for Sky Emperor.
I thought sales of Valve Batteries ceased in 1968!
The Winner 9 has 1.5V taps so was used in Schools Physics labs. (H1001). It was first produced in 1920s. Of course the D sized cells produced from about 1899 and AA size before 1914 for "pen lights". (The A, B, C, D, E, F, G, AA sizes though are 1947 designations). B and F cells still exist in 1289 packs (still common on continent) and PJ996 packs.
Dry battery cycle lamps date from about 1906 as they needed the Tungsten Bulbs. Earlier dry battery torches really were "Flashlights" due to lack of depolariser and carbon filament bulb.

Preview
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chloride_1978.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	103677

Full size in PDF as the Forum shrinks images.

Check www.bluakatz.com for battery updates
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chloride_1978_Battery_Connections.pdf (219.3 KB, 398 views)
Old 4th Feb 2015, 4:42 pm   #32

Quote:
Here is cleaned version of PDF
Thanks Mike, the original was direct from my scanner, not perfect but readable. You have done super job.
Quote:
I could probably get better scanning the original on my Document management Scanner
Mine is only a cheapy! and from an opened book with 1950's 'perfect binding' didn't want to break it.

Old 4th Feb 2015, 7:18 pm   #33
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Here are three different pages of connections and the cleaned up equivalents.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf battery_connections.pdf (1.86 MB, 596 views)
Old 4th Feb 2015, 11:36 pm   #34
Radio Wrangler

I once made a matrix of sockets to fit wander plugs. The sockets themselves were short lengths of copper car brake pipe, the inside diameter is right. one end was cut and drilled to make a solder tag.

The sockets were araldited into holes drilled in a piece of cloudy perspex.

David
Old 5th Feb 2015, 2:47 pm   #35
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

I use cut up Lidl Espresso black coffee tins folded to a triangular tube (some battery sockets are this profile). The lacquer print solders fine too. Handy for screening cans and ground planes.

The open corner makes it springy and work with solid battery plug pins.

For a 9V GB pack I solder them to top of 6 cells out of a pair of 1289, still sold as 3R12 today. Common on Continent, but some bargain stores have the Panasonic.

The life of a GB pack is essentially battery shelf life.
Old 24th Jun 2015, 12:28 pm   #36
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Herewith a ZIP file containing actual-size socket diagrams which can be used as drilling templates.

- Joe
Attached Files
File Type: zip Battery Sockets.zip (431.4 KB, 385 views)
Old 25th Jun 2015, 8:19 pm   #37
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Looks like I did things the (very hard) way. When I needed to make up batteries for an old valve hearing aid (1.5V LT, 45V HT, although at least one source said 37.5V HT), I used brass rod suitably drilled and slit to make the contacts and drilled nylon blocks to make the housings. There are some photos of the process in the 'multitone hearing aid' album in my flickr account (tony_duell)
Closed Thread