UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2011, 11:52 am   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Equivalents to Motorola Transistors with 'in-house' numbers

Apologies if this has been discussed before, but, whilst repairing a 70s Motorola Car radio(which didn't need any of them replacing) I got to thinking
what would be suitable replacements for the types 24B, 25A, & 25B types
used in the RF/IF circuits of these MW/LW radios, and for the 54C, 54D,
P2U, A4K, & P1V devices used in the audio circuits, the first two being small signal types, whilst the last three are driver and output transistors mounted
on a heat-sink. I've never been able to find any data on the Motorola Original transistors, but have made a note in the margin of the circuit diagram that BD133/134 and BD433/434s can replace the o/p transistors.
Similarly a DHD800 is specified as the AGC diode, but I've seen 1N4148s
fitted from new. Out of curiosity does anyone know where I can find any
data for these now long obsolete semiconductors?
Old 1st Jun 2011, 9:56 am   #2
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Equivalents to Motorola Transistors with 'in-house' numbers

I used to repair Motorola Communications equipment and they always used in house numbers for semiconductors. Occasionally you were lucky enough to find equipment with standard part numbers on components, and a note was made to use as a future cross reference but the company I worked for bought most of the parts from Motorola as genuine spares using the part numbers from the manuals. We never found any official cross reference lists. They occasionally used abbreviated part numbers shortened to the last five or six digits from the original longer number.
Alan.
Old 1st Jun 2011, 10:32 am   #3
paulsherwin

Yes, Motorola seem to have used house codes for their semicondictors for many years for no obvious reason. I have a bag of silicon transistors with just a big M and a number which I've never managed to decode. They test like BC168 general purpose types.
Old 1st Jun 2011, 10:51 am   #4
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Very common on RF PA transistors. Usually from frequency, supply volts, power and package you can figure what the "public" part number would be as RF P.A transistors usually spec for particular band and 12V or 24V separately, rarely more as well as power.
Closed Thread