UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2009, 12:11 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Connecting IPod, etc. to a MONO Car Radio

I,m certain there are threads/posts on here about this, but cannot find them.
My feeling is that the L & R outputs of the IPod, CD Player, etc., should be linked together via series resistors of abot 10k, one in series with each o/p, and the common point joined to the 'aux' or 'tape' input of the radio(The ones currently in question being Radiomobile 80X & 1095, both of which, from memory, have hig(ish) input impedance(ca. 100k or 200k)-is there a standardaudio amplifiers, so would the above be about right? I don't know what o/p level & impedance the average IPod has. Is there a standard??
Old 2nd May 2009, 1:27 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Connecting IPod, etc. to a MONO Car Radio

The value of the isolating resistors isn't critical, but 10k will be a bit high and may cause excessive attenuation. The outputs of most mp3 players are op-amps designed to drive headphones with a typical 32R impedence. The output is often quite low to stop people wrecking their hearing.

I would use 100R-1k to isolate the outputs. You may need to experiment to get the correct level though.

Paul
Old 3rd May 2009, 7:36 am   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Thanks, Paul- I was assuming that Ipods had 'line level' or 'Aux' outputs, which I would use for this purpose, rather than the earphone output. This is why I had the figure of 10k in my mind.
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:53 am   #4
paulsherwin

I can't remember if the various iPod models have a line output on some of the pins of the docking station connector, not actually owning one. Certainly most other mp3 players and many personal CD players don't have this. If you assume you're going to be using the 3.5mm headphone socket anything should work.

Paul
Old 4th May 2009, 10:15 pm   #5
Tim
Dekatron

I have done a few of these and 10k worked well in all cases.