UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2017, 11:04 am   #1
OldTechFan96
Octode

Default How To Remove The Battery Cage From an AVO Meter 8?

Hello,

I would like to investigate a crack in the case of my newly bought AVO Meter 8. The only way to take a look would be to remove the battery cage. Since it looks bolted together I don't want to loosen the screws and hope for the best.

What would be the best way to remove the battery cage?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6181.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	151002   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6180.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	151003  
Old 19th Oct 2017, 1:29 pm   #2
Barnmead
Pentode

Default Re: How To Remove The Battery Cage From an AVO Meter 8?

The four countersunk screws you can see have nuts on the inside. You will need a long box spanner to get the lower ones undone. Putting them back is a bit more difficult. As i recall I lashed up something with a box spanner an a piece of tubing. Hope this helps.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 2:23 pm   #3

Stick 'em (the nuts) on before reassembly.

Old 19th Oct 2017, 5:17 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

On some examples one (or both?) of the dome-head screws (for the battery box cover) threads into nuts that sit in recesses in the battery box. It is easy to lose these as the box is removed from the case, as they are then no longer captive. Some meters have captive nut inserts so this problem doesn't arise.

There is often a black mastic sealing the box to the case. It's not difficult to clean off, but if you use a solvent things get a bit messy.

The last time i saw a crack like that i let some superglue wick into it then trimmed the dried glue back with a stanley knife blade, scraping almost flat against the surface. The finish wasn't perfect but it was on quite a scruffy meter so it blended in ok.
Old 19th Oct 2017, 5:43 pm   #5

Don't clean off the messy painted on gunge inside the case, that is there to trap dust etc..

Closed Thread