UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2017, 6:21 pm   #1
David Simpson
Nonode

Default Testing Marconi DEV Valves on AVO Mk3

Decided to build a special rig for carefully testing these rare old valves.(See thread currently in "Components & Circuits").
However I've now moved into the realms of AVO Mk3 testing of these end & side-capped wee triodes. Had to build a B4 plug & lead connector. I just set the thumbwheel code to 642300000 & connected everything together. I chose a nominal Vg of -2V, and set the Mk3's switches to give a Va of 40V & a Vf of 2.5V(actually metered at 2.7V ac) - - to get as close as possible to voltages used in 1924. Results were good, and then Vg was varied from -8V down to 0V & Ia readings taken off the Mk3's meter. The resultant plot was pencilled on to yesterday's graph of the 1924 curve & one from my DC lash-up(Not my big LayMarcAvo DC Tester).
So - AVO VCM's can test these early 1920's wee triodes, and probably the earlier V24's(BE's) designed by Captain Round in 1919. I've another 5 DEV valves to test for a BVWS chum on my Mk3.
Isn't valve testing fun on a rainy day ?

Regards, David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV Holder (d).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	151612   Click image for larger version

Name:	DEV Holder (i).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	151613  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mk3's Test of DEV.pdf (473.6 KB, 68 views)
Closed Thread