UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Nov 2017, 11:55 am   #21
G0BHU-Mike
Triode

Default Re: FT101ZD Power output issues

Hi many Thanks - yes correct - I've now located a corrected drawing. 160v is used to supply a pin on the Accessories socket (pin3) sorry about the drawing can't seem to find a way to reduce the bit size of the drawings. Used Microsoft's paint program. I cant find anything on iPad that does the same. sorry.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 6:12 pm   #22
G0BHU-Mike
Triode

Default Re: FT101ZD Power output issues

FINAL REPORT:
To all who took time to respond - my sincerest thanks.
With the calm help of Harry Leeming we resolved all the silly voltages sag.

The drawings earths are correct (though there is a very confusing difference between PCB lay out and the drawings). There are also a lot of worryingly drawing and component errors in the service manual.

On this set:
The earth to the secondary (HT) winding on RECT 'A' board had been left disconnected by a previous incumbent - my original hunch about no current return path was correct. It was a combination effect: The missing earth was for the HT and Screen supplies, but due to another wiring fault (the mains 0v and Fan connections reversed) plus an important bleed resistor across the 300v supply (very high) caused the current to seek out alternative paths, In this case - screen cathode and heaters. The flash seems to have been: screen to grid (in side the valve) - then back through the bias supply chain to transformer. The sag simply was the losses through the Bias chain dragging the volts down. Sounds easy, But it produced a very strange slow sag on Tx and even slower return to normal voltage profile.
Interestingly one of the the flash-over valves is OK. So some good news.
Lesson 1 - check every connection, especially earths.
Lesson 2 - always use a variable transformer (Variac) to isolate and start voltage low. it helps - but beware these old sets don't like the voltage being too low(60%~70% of line is OK). They Hum and make some very worrying noises giving you more grey hairs than you need, if too low.
Lesson 3 - Ask for help.

This FT101ZD is now back in service - though a tune up on 160m and a few minor alignments will tidy it up. But later!
My special thanks must go to Harry, and to all those who helped.

Moderator: For now this case is happily closed. Thank you
Closed Thread