UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Apr 2012, 10:53 pm   #1
pepmin 1
Pentode

Default Bush TR82 handle.

Hi. I have a BUSH VTR 103 radio but the handle has snapped. I have made two unsuccessful attempts to repair it. I think I may have to buy a donor radio if I can get one at the right price. Has the BUSH TR82 got the same handle? Thanks Colin.
Old 1st Apr 2012, 11:06 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush tr82 handle.

TR82 what, B, C or D? Some were fawn and some a creamy colour. That said, handle colour didn't seem to differentiate between the two to any glaringly obvious degree but it's the finish of the wire loops which matter ie brass or chrome finish.

I don't have a VTR103 but I think that had brassy finish; if so a handle from a TR82C will not match because it was chromed. A TR82B handle will match, as will that from an MB60. I forget what finish trim the TR82D had.
Old 1st Apr 2012, 11:13 pm   #3
pepmin 1
Pentode

Default Re: Bush tr82 handle.

I just meant TR82 in general.The fitting of the handle, not the colour. If all these handles are similar then I can take it from there. The wire loops on my handle are chrome. Thanks.

Last edited by pepmin 1; 1st Apr 2012 at 11:19 pm.
Old 1st Apr 2012, 11:21 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush TR82 handle.

The handles were identical in respect of shape and fitting.

I've just checked and it appears the VTR103 was indeed chromed, as per your broken handle. I thought it was a brassy model .
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:08 am   #5
pepmin 1
Pentode

Thanks for that Darren. I have taken the radio apart and cleaned it. It has come up well. It is a pity I don't have a handle to finish it off. Any ideas on how to repair my handle? I have tried boring a hole in each part and fitting a pin. I then applied Araldite and clamped it together. It seemed to have worked, but when I tried to fit it back on the radio next day I could see movement. I am fresh out of ideas.
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:09 am   #6
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Only the MB60, EBM60 and TR82B models have brass trim, including the wire ends to the handles. All the other 12 'known' models in the series have chrome trim.

Regards

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:13 am   #7
pepmin 1
Pentode

Cheers for that Robert.
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:35 am   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepmin 1 View Post
I then applied Araldite and clamped it together. It seemed to have worked, but when I tried to fit it back on the radio next day I could see movement. I am fresh out of ideas.
That's probably because the end loops are bent, causing the fitted handle to try and compensate by flexing at its weak point, ie the repair. These handles are difficult to repair and virtually impossible to repair invisibly.

Somewhere I've got a spare chromey-ended handle off a TR-something or other. If you can bear with me while I try to find it you're welcome to have it.
Old 2nd Apr 2012, 12:40 am   #9
pepmin 1
Pentode

That would be great. Thanks Darren.
Closed Thread