UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2013, 9:39 pm   #21
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Default Re: Last Night's Coronation Street

The way soaps are going, I sometimes wished the tram had flattened the whole set including the cast (not kill them in real life though, just in the program).

Is Eastenders ever going to blow up any time soon? I hope so, they all look miserable anyway!
Old 21st May 2013, 2:10 am   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Coronation Street [to which you refer] still has basic vintage Northern Manc/Lanc compatible values and a proper retro value of its own as epitomised by Roy Cropper and his sense of history/collectibles and radios. This is not apparent elsewhere-especially in shouty E London! You never see "eccentrics" with interesting hobbies in other soaps so don't include the north. Despite the speeding up in real time [a producer from the Yorkshire lot] it's still a forum friendly drama of interest. If you watch TV that is!
A privelige not so long ago!

Dave W
Old 21st May 2013, 9:05 am   #23
Radio Wrangler

I don't think it's anything specifically against radios, it's just that TV seems to have two lists of hobbies. One is U and the other non-U.

Fishing, trainspotting and collecting matchboxes seem to be fine, especially in picturesque little villages with an old church and a staggering murder rate.
Restoring radios seems to be OK in only one place. Building a steam loco or restoring a car is right out. Horse riding is only allowed for female semi-aristocratic nasties.

Fortunately we live in the real world and can get on with what we enjoy without having to worry about our viewing figures.

I come from an area where a very long running TV series was filmed and it was amazing to see the effort expended to make the real place meet the producer/director/writer's "vision"
Old 21st May 2013, 9:20 am   #24
Station X

The only film I know of featuring a vintage radio restorer is "The Russian Bride" (A remake of "Therese Raquin"):-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0313544/

The character is played as being a social misfit and is eventually murdered.

There's lots of vintage gear in the film and I think a mention of "That capacitor".

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 21st May 2013, 2:31 pm   #25
dave walsh
Dekatron

Now that's a film I will definetely have to see!
Dave W
Old 21st May 2013, 2:41 pm   #26
Daventry 5XX
Pentode

If you want to see some nice old radios, be a sado like me and watch Goodnight Sweetheart on Gold. Every night at 7 PM.

Alan
Old 21st May 2013, 3:38 pm   #27
dave walsh
Dekatron

I've seen it Alan. Second WW Time Slip. Popular but still underated in some ways as it was rather more than just light comedy. I think the the really sad [o] humans are the ones who only live in the moment and have no awarenesss of anything else, particularly the history of the media that absorbs them and airs their criticism whether it's radio, TV or [the aptly named] twitter. Only very small children and animals are condemmned to [or blessed by] this level of ignorance.
Dave W.
Old 21st May 2013, 5:18 pm   #28
Glowing Bits!
Octode

Am I sad for watching Jeremy Kyle?, Aircraft crash programs are awesome to watch too, still listen to the radio more than TV though.

As for the post about Corrie, I am not saying it's all that bad, the story lines seem a little unrealistic, all the exciting (bad) things seem to happen at night when everyone's in one place, pub's can go on fire at any time, including daylight hours.

Given the choice of Corrie & Eastenders, I'd go for Corrie, If forced to watch Eastenders, I'll go and fetch the hanging rope!

Folks, I'm just off now to go and drop a fag on the sofa, it'll take about 10 seconds for the propane flame to ignite! In the real world, the sofa would not do much. I'm a non-smoker, that's used as an example.

Last edited by Glowing Bits!; 21st May 2013 at 5:24 pm.
Old 21st May 2013, 10:17 pm   #29
dave walsh
Dekatron

Yes GB [appropriate incendiary name] the recent fire at the rovers Return was a pantomime-very unconvincing! You could almost see the gas bottles! I hope Roys Radios are safe from cremation
Dave

Last edited by dave walsh; 21st May 2013 at 10:23 pm.
Old 22nd May 2013, 8:31 pm   #30
Glowing Bits!
Octode

[appropriate incendiary name], I had to look that word up to see what it meant, it does actually sum me up nicely.
It takes at least 10 minutes to get the chiminea up to temperature, after getting the flame to stay lit.
Fire retardant furniture will take many hours before something will happen, the director will be sleeping on the floor with boredom while something tries to ignite!
Old 23rd May 2013, 10:43 am   #31
D.Finney
Pentode

I thought I saw a 40s/50s Cossor Melody Maker in the Cropper's flat a while ago, did anybody else notice it?
Old 27th May 2013, 7:34 pm   #32
GJR 11L
Heptode

Yes, I did, but couldn't possibly confess in public forum to watching something so infra-dig as a soap. Saying that, Coronation Street must surely be a pretty fair example of the sitcom genre too, it's a whole lot funnier than any of those since Fawlty Towers.

And as I'm in the confessing frame of mind; I often recognise uncomfortably large parts of myself in David Neilson's brilliantly eccentric and wonderfully funny creation. Fortunately, Roy and I don't share fashion sense.

And do we know whither Roy still has his Garrard SP25 MK3 in what appears to be a one-off cabinet? Not that I pay attention you understand.