UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Mar 2011, 12:15 pm   #21
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Wireless set recommendations please

Andy,
Should it be in this Thread https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=66132

Alan
Old 14th Mar 2011, 6:34 pm   #22
yestertech
Nonode

How unkind ! there again......
A.
Old 14th Mar 2011, 8:30 pm   #23
Graham-R
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by setsappeal View Post
I have this lovely Murphy in 'rehab' at the moment if you're interested ?
It's model A72, 1939
Murphys are not to everyone's taste of course ... I rather like this
My son commented that it looks like a "wooden tumble dryer"
Philistine !

Andy
Thanks for the offer, but I have to agree it does look a bit like a kitchen appliance ! actually I won't be buying a set for a few months yet - i'm not allowed !

I expect one day I will see a wireless set that I like the look of and that will be that !

Graham
Old 17th Mar 2011, 7:50 pm   #24
phasedout
Retired Dormant Member

Hi i also have a nest of Murphy radios, i cannot fault them, the retro looks on some may not please all but they sure do sound good, here is one of mine a A72 also, 1939 Murphy .....Alan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Murphy-A72.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	48350  

Last edited by phasedout; 17th Mar 2011 at 8:07 pm.
Old 20th Apr 2011, 6:43 pm   #25
Graham-R
Pentode

I quite like the look of the set on this webpage - can anyone identify it please ?

http://www.angelradioisleofwight.moonfruit.com/

Thanks

Graham
Old 20th Apr 2011, 7:07 pm   #26
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

If you are looking at something pre-war, don't forget you'll almost certainly need some kind of aerial; you can get away with a bit of wire strung about the room for the stronger stations. Unfortunately noise generated by your or your neighbours' modern electronic devices may rule this out and you may need to put your set by a window for an outside bit of wire, say 30 to 50 feet long.

Many/most sets from the late 40s onwards have an internal frame aerial so you don't need any aerial wires.

Or you could put a little MW modulator close to the set and you can play anything you like even if the set "needs" an aerial.

Regards,

Ian
Old 20th Apr 2011, 7:37 pm   #27
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,

It's a Pilot. There is one on ebay at the moment :- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-art-de...item4158ba6d6b

Yours, Richard
Old 20th Apr 2011, 7:40 pm   #28
Graham-R
Pentode

Richard

Thanks - are they any good ? what is the spares situation like ?

Also, did you see the post in the transport section ?

Graham
Old 20th Apr 2011, 7:45 pm   #29
Graham-R
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian - G4JQT View Post
If you are looking at something pre-war, don't forget you'll almost certainly need some kind of aerial; you can get away with a bit of wire strung about the room for the stronger stations. Unfortunately noise generated by your or your neighbours' modern electronic devices may rule this out and you may need to put your set by a window for an outside bit of wire, say 30 to 50 feet long.

Many/most sets from the late 40s onwards have an internal frame aerial so you don't need any aerial wires.

Or you could put a little MW modulator close to the set and you can play anything you like even if the set "needs" an aerial.

Regards,

Ian
Ian

This is something I had not really considered as all the sets I own have internal frame aerials. Better start working out the explanation to SWMBO.....

I can always say it is a new washing line ?

Graham
Old 20th Apr 2011, 9:00 pm   #30

Quote:
Better start working out the explanation to SWMBO..
Look for steath antennas on the web, SHMBO may never know! Or go for a Wellbrook(e) loop, a bit pricey but supurb performers. And at low frequencies (MW/LW) you can parallell loads of sets.

Old 20th Apr 2011, 9:06 pm   #31
PJL
Dekatron

Ferguson, Pilot and some other USA/Canadian manufacturers set up subsiduaries in the UK. They use UX series USA valves which are a little more difficult to get than the B5/B7 series types but not impossible. Corrrosion often seems a problem with the american based sets but I wonder if it's more that the cabinets were better made and any UK set with a chassis that corroded would have been thrown out as the case would be worm ridden and de-laminated.
Old 21st Apr 2011, 3:59 pm   #32
Ian - G4JQT
Octode

Yes, Wellbrook loops are excellent. I have installed a few professionally and am listening via one right now connected to an Icom R75 communications receiver. But they are a sledge hammer to crack a nut I suspect in this case, especially as they now start at £149! (www.wellbrook.uk.com). Depending on the model they cover from at least 100 kHz to well over 30 MHz, a bit of a waste if you just want LW and MW.

Theoretically they should be terminated in 50 ohms which an ordinary domestic set is unlikely to present, although I don't think it matter much in practice.

A bit of wire (thin multi-stranded plastic covered will do - nothing fancy) poked through a window and tied to a tree or gutter via some non-conductive weather-proof cord will be as good as anything.

Regards,

Ian
Old 21st Apr 2011, 5:34 pm   #33
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

looking at the tuning gang,this set has been badly stored.

David
Old 21st Apr 2011, 5:53 pm   #34

Quote:
But they are a sledge hammer to crack a nut I suspect
They do give a clean (er) signal than a long wire considering you can put it far away from houses, there is a load of LW/MW rubbish emitted by modern (oh how we have progressed) equipment. I think it is well worth the money for a good clean signal for our cherrished old radios.

Old 22nd Apr 2011, 10:27 am   #35
Graham-R
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Ferguson, Pilot and some other USA/Canadian manufacturers set up subsiduaries in the UK. They use UX series USA valves which are a little more difficult to get than the B5/B7 series types but not impossible. Corrrosion often seems a problem with the american based sets but I wonder if it's more that the cabinets were better made and any UK set with a chassis that corroded would have been thrown out as the case would be worm ridden and de-laminated.
What sort of corrosion ? - do you mean rust on the chassis - or as suggested by Hamishboxer something more critical like the tuning gang ?

I am not sure that your hypothesis for the corrosion on US sets can be substantiated though ! I am sure there are many other factors to consider !

Thanks

Graham
Old 22nd Apr 2011, 10:50 am   #36
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Hi Graham, There's many things that are going to deteriorate on a 70 year old radio and the anti-corrosion protection on the chassis is just one of them. It's something that can either be corrected, improved or just left as it is during a restoration.

With regards to aerials, I've got plenty of pre and post war radios, without internal aerials, that pick up plenty of strong stations with nothing more than 4' of wire hanging out the back

HTH
David
Old 12th May 2011, 5:04 pm   #37
Graham-R
Pentode

I now have a Pye 39J/H courtesy of Setsappeal - you were right about the fluff on the inside - it's like a fur coat....

GR
Old 12th May 2011, 9:14 pm   #38

Quote:
it's like a fur coat
Must be why old radios sound so warm, and having a quick look (via Google) it is a fine set, given the amount of mains interference in houses these days it will be worth putting up a proper outdoor aerial.

Old 15th May 2011, 10:12 am   #39
Graham-R
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
it's like a fur coat
Must be why old radios sound so warm, and having a quick look (via Google) it is a fine set, given the amount of mains interference in houses these days it will be worth putting up a proper outdoor aerial.
Now de-fluffed, the chassis paint was immaculate under all that protection....

It defintely needs a decent aerial - there is no internal one on this set. I tried it with 5 ft of wire and it worked quite well, so with an external aerial and a bit of a service (not sure when though !) the set will work even better - that is if I ever prise it away from my mother who has decided it now belongs to her !

GR
Closed Thread