UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Apr 2010, 9:50 am   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default My £2.00 Morse key, rescued from scrap!

At a radio rally I saw some bits of what had once been a Morse key, in a cardboard box. Apparently the bits had been removed from a key which had been damaged, with a view to mounting them on a base, but the seller had never got round to it.

The bits looked familiar – particularly the knob, which suggested that it had once been a NATO Admiralty key (based on the designs of the Swedish pump key of Lennart Pettersson and the Marconi PS No 213A). However, it has no data plate so I can't be sure of that, and it will remain a mystery as to whether it ever saw active service on a ship, or even ashore.

I asked how much - the seller said 'make me a silly offer' so I offered £2.00, and the deal was done! I've now have refurbished the bits and mounted them on a wooden base (made from one of several scrap iroko stair treads that I'd fished out of a skip).

I'd intended to make a metal cover as the bits of the key had originally been nickel plated, some of which had peeled off, and it looked unnatrractive. However, instead, I set about grinding and filing the plating off the bits to reveal the brass, which I polished, and thought might look nice on a wooden base.

Below are pics of the bits cleaned up ready for assembly, then mounted on the wooden base. For comparison, a pic of a NATO Marconi key is shown. They fetch silly prices – sometimes £100 or more, so I think my £2.00 key is quite a bargain!

David,
G4EBT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Morse key bits.jpg
Views:	544
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	34683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Morse Key reborn!.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	34684   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nato Admiralty Morse Key.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	34685  
Old 19th Apr 2010, 10:07 am   #2
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: My £2.00 Morse key, rescued from scrap!

Looks superb.

David GM8JET
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 3:14 pm   #3
Pamphonica
Nonode

A very nice job indeed - what an elegant key. Much more attractive un-housed!
regards
Old 23rd Apr 2010, 11:19 pm   #4
armitage
Triode

well done!
Old 6th May 2010, 7:07 pm   #5
AndrewH
Diode

Very nice!
Closed Thread