UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jun 2014, 1:08 pm   #1
dgb1951
Retired Dormant Member

Question PM 8 Epsylon Industries 8" Picture monitor

Hello all from Australia,

Recently I traded 3 vintage 16bit PCs for an early Teletype for my 1968 DEC PDP8i computer.

As part of the trade I also got given a pair of PM 8 [625] 8" Picture monitors by Epsylon Industries Ltd, Feltham Middlesex England. One is serial numbered 103

I think their age is mid 1950's and they contain all valves.

Main CRT is a Ferranti type 8 / 03 TM s/n JS215

I am looking for any information that is available, like circuit drawing and especially data for the pin information of the 18 pin Belling-Lee connector mounted on the rear. Hopefully I can also find 2 mating connectors for this plug. I note it is 3 row and 1 pin at top of each of the outer rows is larger diameter than the remaining 16 pins. Maybe this is for the high current low voltage, needed for all the valve heaters.

As far as I can tell this connector brings Power into this Monitor, since there does not appear to be any AC 240v mains cable inlet. I have as yet, not tried to trace the wires from this connector.

Thus I assume there was an external power supply unit, that had provided the HV supplies and the 6.3v ac for valve heaters.

I can see a section inside the unit that is obviously the EHT section.

Have added some photos of the units to this post.

hope someone has some information please.

plan to use both as display units on a Analog Computer I am rebuilding.

regards
David Broadbent
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9131.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	93730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9130.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	93731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9127.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	93732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9137.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	93733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9138.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	93734  

Old 3rd Jun 2014, 7:31 pm   #2
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default Re: PM 8 Epsylon Industries 8" Picture monitor

Hi David

What an interesting little monitor, I have the big brother of it, a 17inch version, same style and age.

I have attached some pictures of it.

I would have expected your monitor to have an internal mains power supply, mine has and as you can see there is the multi way Connector on mine as well. My monitor is away in store and not easy to look at.

The mains would go in on a round 4 pin connector, type EP4 made by a number of manufacturers including cannon. you can just see them on the back of mine. It may have been changed for a later type of connector to meet local regulations.

Back to the connector, I would expect it to have done remote control remote brightness/contrast/cue light and maybe input switching, all common functions back then.

If you do come up with the circuit I would appreciate a copy too, my monitor will be similar.

Try to look after it, it's age makes it quite rare and it should be saved for the future.

Very Best
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7bf3_3.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	93754   Click image for larger version

Name:	0446_3.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	93755   Click image for larger version

Name:	f0c2_3.jpg