UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2012, 11:55 pm   #1
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Panasonic AG-5620 playback issue

I have used this (non S-VHS) pro VCR in the past and it really is a cracking model which uses 'domestic' VCR parts but with better quality - it was made from 1994 on.

I picked up one last week for a very low price and being as good as unused it was worth the outlay. Having around 200 hours on the head meant it was spotless inside and nothing was visibly worn or broken. The head looked like new too and under a loupe all chips were unmarked and unworn. However...

When using frame advance, every other paused frame is a bit noisy with white dots (not like tracking noise) along the bottom of the frame. I can hear the TV squeak a bit when this happens. Well, that is not too bad in itself but I think the problem is knocking the normal play out too as the HiFi drops out now and then and the picture is also a bit rough.

So, would the 'every other frame' issue point to a duff head anyway or could it be the electronics?

Thanks for any input and words of guidance.

Ian
Old 11th Jun 2012, 3:01 pm   #2
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Default Re: Panasonic AG-5620 playback issue

I have not been able to get to the bottom of this fault so would appreciate any input. Every other frame is covered with white dots and spots of colour and the video when played does not track well and the hi-fi sound struggles to lock on. The VCR has only got just over 100hrs use but perhaps this fault is why. The heads are spotlessly clean.

I attach some images showing two adjacent frames - you can see the fault quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372-001.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	67571   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0373-001.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	67572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0375-001.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	67573   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0376-001.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	67574  
Old 30th May 2014, 11:55 pm   #3
IanNVJ35
Heptode

To wrap up, I have just cured this fault. The two 680uF 20V capacitors in the PSU were tired. Replacing them has restored full operation.
Old 1st Jun 2014, 9:44 am   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done, I love these industrial Panasonics. Well worth saving.
Closed Thread