UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Sep 2019, 7:27 pm   #1
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Grundig Ocean Boy 820

Every cloud has a silver lining or so they say...

I just missed a bus today with an hour to wait for the next one. So I wandered into some charity shops (in Crawley). Came out of one with a lighter wallet and a heavier bag as I bought the above receiver.

It seems to cover MW, LW, VHF/FM (Band 2) and 3 short wave bands. It has an odd tuning control that can be pulled out to give a greater reduction ratio between the knob and the scale/tuning capacitor for fine tuning. I assume the 'PH' position on the main band switch is 'Phono' to use the set as an amplifier with an input from the DIN socket on the back.

I've downloaded the circuit diagrams from the radiomusuem site, I'll have to wait before I can get any more data from there. Does anyone know of any other sources of information on this set? It doesn't seem to be 'Up Top' (or on the DVD) or in the 'Radio and Television Servicing' red books.

Any comments on this unit?
Old 18th Sep 2019, 9:46 am   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Grundig Ocean Boy 820

The Grundig Ocean Boy 820 was also sold as the Minerva RS800. Minerva were a German manufacturer who were taken over by Grundig in 1980. Thereafter, Grundig badge engineered some of their designs. The RS800/Ocean boy is believed to be sourced from Sangean although I can find no direct model equivalent. The internal construction can be seen on the Radio Museum site.

The schematic suggests a very useful radio which will not disappoint you.

Chris
Old 18th Sep 2019, 5:52 pm   #3
TonyDuell
Dekatron

From the transistors used I am pretty sure it's Japanese at heart.

It does look to be a good radio. I've not had a chance to do anything with it yet but I am sure it will be worth restoring if need be.
Old 25th Sep 2019, 11:27 am   #4
rojosuiza
Tetrode

Praise be to the missed bus! Congratulations to your new radio.
Old 25th Sep 2019, 12:16 pm   #5
paulsherwin

DocTSF have a circuit: https://www.doctsf.com/grandlivre/fiche.php?ref=19163
Closed Thread