UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2008, 8:32 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default c. 1972 Astrad Cygnus 7 transistor MW/LW pocket clock radio

Hello again,

The Astrad Cygnus was the predecessor of the Vega Ruby, with a slightly different complement of transistors. It was built in the Leningrad Radio Devices Works, now St Petersburg, in around 1972. I have to admit that this was the simplest restoration I've done for a long time, but I still think it's still worth a mention should someone acquire one of these sets not working. It was sold to me as not working and when switched on it did nothing whatsoever. The on/off switches on USSR transistor radios are often faulty, I suspect that a lttle tarnish forms on the contacts, or a little grease inside creeps onto them, but the cure is simple, just operate the on/off switch a few times and eventually away they'll go, as did this one and it works perfectly too, even the clock/timer works. I gave the case a quick clean, job done.

It's mint this little pocket clock radio, and as usual with USSR transistor sets it's remarkably sensitive on both MW and LW and despite its tiny 2.25" loudspeaker it sounds OK, if maybe just a tad on the shrill side. It's plastic case is very flimsy so it's best kept in its excellent Russian leather case.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	su_Astrad_Cygnus_incase 001.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	14900  

Last edited by howard; 30th Jan 2008 at 8:39 pm.
Old 1st Feb 2008, 4:29 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: c. 1972 Astrad Cygnus 7 transistor MW/LW pocket clock radio

These lovely small Russian sets do perform very well. I've got two. One thing I would like to know is can the clocks be repaired?

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 1:07 pm   #3
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Sounds like a challenge, Steve. When you're passing ...

What sort of clocks are they, and what is wrong with yours?

Maybe start a thread on it?
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 1:27 pm   #4
howard
Nonode

Hello Mike,

I have a couple of other Leningrad built clock radios with non-working clocks, and I've been meaning to take one out for repair. They're small watch sized clockwork 24 hour clocks with a couple of connections on the back for the timer. The problem simply is that these clocks when wound up don't work, one can shake them and they'll go for a few seconds and then stall again. If I take one out of a set and send it to you, would you check it and see if it's possible to do anything with it please ?

That is if I can get it out of the set ......

Howard
Old 2nd Feb 2008, 2:15 pm   #5
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Hello Howard,

A very nice little set, and most unusual to see the clock face on the front where its more common to see a circular tuning dial!

A super addition to your collection!

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 9:58 am   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard View Post
If I take one out of a set and send it to you, would you check it and see if it's possible to do anything with it please ?
That is if I can get it out of the set ......
Hi Howard
Yes - certainly I can. Your description does sound a bit like a broken balance staff, but we'll have a look at it first before casting too much gloom on it. Why not send both of them?
Old 3rd Feb 2008, 11:08 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Thanks Mike,

I shall try and get them out ASAP (they're exactly the same as the clock in the Cygnus, see above pic).

We can continue this discussion here in this thread .....

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=150466

Howard
Closed Thread