UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Nov 2011, 1:25 pm   #1
humorist2751
Pentode

Default Sony WM-D6C drive problems

Hi all.

A while ago it became obvious that the original drive belt in my Sony WM-D6C had failed; I replaced it with a generic one which seemed, by eye, to be about right.

While anything involving the capstan - i.e. play or record - was and is okay, the other functions (FF/REW) do nothing; an examination just now showed that the belt I had used was just tight enough for the job if the capstan "helped out," but was too liable to slip when that was not the case, as the torque requirement on the applicable spool drive increases in the absence of the capstan drive.

Could anyone give me the correct dimensions of the drive belt, or point me in the direction of a suitable one at some UK-based electronics parts supply house?

All leads gratefully received!
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 1:36 pm   #2
Studio263
Octode

Default Re: Sony WM-D6C drive problems

The "walkman" belt kit that CPC sells contains one of the right size.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 2:27 pm   #3
humorist2751
Pentode

Default Re: Sony WM-D6C drive problems

Studio263:

Thanks for that. Oddly enough, I have one of those belt packs in stock, but it had not occurred to me as a possible source - probably because I had forgotten all about it until you reminded me!

Thanks again; may your heater never grow dim.
Closed Thread