UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Oct 2011, 5:20 pm   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Is this the most awkward deck to dismantle?

Hi,
A very dear friend of mine recently gave me a Philips EL3558/15 4track tape recorder. It looks nice in its 70s teak veneer case and suffered from the usual "gooey belt syndrome" of one of its four belts and another had stretched.
But, what a pig to dismantle! My, my, it was a real pain as the circlip for the take up turntable was up behind the motor and one of the motor mounting bolts was underneath the take up turntable. The best way (for me) was to remove the circuit board which had to be left hanging from the flimsy wires going to the heads. The chassis could not be rested any way up on the bench for fear of breaking any plastic operating levers so I had to balance it on my lap, which made it difficult to retrieve anything that fell off onto the floor (which were many).
To add to the fun I had to reassemble the take up clutch which works from a little belt hidden up inside the take up turntable and runs from the tip of the motor spindle. Of course, refitting the circuit board was exciting as the speed change control fell out of mesh (then fell on the floor) and the operating levers failed to engage with the record/playback switch.
AAAAAGGGHHH!!
Is this really the most awkward tape recorder to take to bits, or are there others more vexing still?
At the other extreme, I've got a Philips N4418 which is a peach to take apart.
Cheers, Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4774.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	57813   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4776.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	57814  
Old 26th Oct 2011, 6:07 pm   #2
bobbyball
Octode

Default Re: Is this the most awkward deck to dismantle?

I had to re-belt a Philips 4308 a few years ago - similar deck with the small belt under the take-up turntable, remember it being "a bit difficult" - and that black goo really is as bad as it gets!

Philips equipment certainly can be "different" - this applies to many makes of course but Philips gear is always "up there" ! Remember the "Charlie" VCR decks?

Also I remember some years ago helping a friend service one of his VCR's - a Fisher top loader (FVH P-520 or something like). I can honestly say it was the hardest thing I have EVER had to try and take apart, screws that can't be got to, everying it could throw at us. Superficially similar to Hitachi machines at the time but these could be fixed. We gave up in the end and chucked it out!!

Robert

Last edited by bobbyball; 26th Oct 2011 at 6:10 pm. Reason: my awful typing!
Old 26th Oct 2011, 7:07 pm   #3
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Is this the most awkward deck to dismantle?

I had one of that model Philips to dismantle recently, and, as you say, not designed to come apart easily.

Apart from the drive belts, including the "hidden" take-up one, you may find the rubber on the pause is also falling apart, and the brakes on the feed spool may also be worn.
Closed Thread