UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2011, 9:31 am   #1
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Thorn/Marconiphone/Ferguson Tape Recorder

I have a two speed four track 5.75 inch reel version of this, but it does not record. I have looked at the DVD service sheets and it does not have the circuit diagram in it. It is the version with the amp/superimpose button and pause solenoid on it. Does anyone have the circuit diagram they can email me. Many thanks.
Old 19th Oct 2011, 12:16 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Thorn/Marconiphone/Ferguson Tape Recorder

When you say "it does not record", what exactly happens when you try? Does it leave the old signal behind? Does it leave the tape blank? Does it leave any recognisable trace of the "new" signal at all?

Most 1960s two-head recorders are very similar electronically; with a line-up of ECC83, ECL86, EM84 and semiconductor rectifier. (Sometimes a DM70 is used instead for the recording level indicator.) Nearly every connection in the machine goes through the record/play switch, so it's absolutely vital that this is clean. Your recorder has a "superimpose" function, which disables the erase head, so you need to clean that switch too.

This stuff is probably as good as anything else.
Old 19th Oct 2011, 1:45 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

There should be a type or model no. on it. Let us know then we're all singing from the same hymn sheet. A photograph or two would be even better.

If it plays, then most, but not all, of the electronics are OK. The advice given above holds true. Are you using a microphone - these are the most common causes of problems like this if you erase OK but not record.

You're probably using the deck diagram rather the electronic diagram.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 20th Oct 2011, 7:17 pm   #4
eric8650
Pentode

If there is no signal showing on the EM84 showing that there is no signal getting into the recorder. Check the microphone socket. It has a peculiar switch on it. If the contacts on this switch are o/c then recordings from the rear input sockets will be absent. Without knowing more thats the best advice I can give.
Old 21st Oct 2011, 2:37 pm   #5
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Thanks I have buzzed through the switches and they appear to be ok. Next attempt will be to scope the erase head signal, and see what that is like.
Old 21st Oct 2011, 4:46 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

You should have said before that you had an oscilloscope It will make the fixing much easier, anyway, as you can follow a signal through all the way through from the input to the recording head -- or wherever it disappears, at any rate .....

You should see a nice large AC voltage at a few tens of kHz on the erase head, if the bias / erase oscillator is running properly. Use a 10:1 probe; not for the sake of the signal, but for the sake of the oscilloscope input! You should see the same frequency at the record/playback head.
Old 22nd Oct 2011, 4:40 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

I think first, you need to carry out the basic checks mentioned in posts 2 and 3, could save you some time....
Closed Thread