UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2018, 10:10 pm   #1
Biggles
Rest in Peace

Default Speaker dust shrouds.

Having worked on some quite old sets in the past, I was just wondering at what point they stopped using those cloth "bags" around the speaker. Was there a reason for them to be used such as the earlier speakers were more susceptible to dust than later designs, or were they expecting houses to be dustier in the old days or was it merely an acoustical thing? You never see them used on later sets.
Alan.
Old 11th Nov 2018, 10:34 pm   #2
electrogram
Heptode

Default Re: Speaker dust shrouds.

Could be that in later speakers the voice coil and the gap it moves in are completly sealed from the outside world by a dust cap on the front and suspension behind, whereas early speakers usually had a suspension 'spider' which did not seal
Old 11th Nov 2018, 10:46 pm   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

They disappeared when speakers ceased to be capable of being taken apart easily with glued dust caps and sealed cone centre suspensions.
Old 12th Nov 2018, 7:52 pm   #4
John10b
Nonode

Interesting question, I had never really thought about it.
My only comment would be that houses in the past certainly had a lot more dust (coal dust in particular) flying about, certainly in our house. So I suppose they could have been used to stop the speakers becoming contaminated.
Cheers
John
Old 12th Nov 2018, 8:59 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

I pondered about it when watching a youtube clip of a 1930's radio factory where the women were putting the bags on the speakers. I quite like them. I also put it down to the open nature of those 30's/40's speakers. They're certainly dusty when you take them off!
Old 13th Nov 2018, 8:14 pm   #6
m0cemdave
Octode

I think Boater Sam has the answer.

Open spiders were more susceptible to dust and filings collecting in the gap then the glued-in pleated suspensions that replaced them.
Old 14th Nov 2018, 12:13 am   #7
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I agree, it seems a sensible explanation. Obviously speaker manufacturing technology has moved on and made the use of shrouds obsolete. I was just trying to remember what year was about the latest I have seen them fitted, but maybe some manufacturers used them for longer than others, depending on how up to date their production lines were.
Alan.
Closed Thread