UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2015, 12:02 am   #1
rolandg
Retired Dormant Member

Default Replacement Philips headshells using 3D printer

Hi,
Just thought members might be interested in some Philips headshells I've made using my 3D Printer. These are replacements for the AG3016 3 pin female type - utilising cheap modern ceramic cartridges.

I'll attempt to attach a couple of photos and I've put up a video which shows them in use and the Philips radiogram I have. In the photos - the one fitted to the tonearm is my latest version. The other is an earlier version which works - but is slightly heavier than the AG3016.

https://youtu.be/-ZTm9vFht78

I know Philips decks (eg AG1014) of this vintage are rather frowned upon - not least due to the great difficulty in obtaining working replacements for these heads/cartridges - so hopefully this will be of interest (and hopefully I'm posting to the right forum).

Whilst I've got it the design working - I intend to refine it further so it looks better and also do a version suitable for a cartridge that can take a 78 stylus.

I'd be very interested in any feedback on this.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headshell1.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	108496   Click image for larger version

Name:	headshell2.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	108497  
Old 20th May 2015, 6:45 am   #2
PaulE27
Pentode

Default Re: Replacement Philips headshells using 3D printer

I think this is the first case I have seen of someone making new parts for old audio with a 3d printer. Well done!

I have to say, though, the new headshell isn't a good match visually. Can you make them in other colours or, failing that, paint them to match the turntable?

Paul
Old 20th May 2015, 1:07 pm   #3
rolandg
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, the colour isn't right yet. The plastic is available in many different colours though I haven't found a cream or old ivory yet. I might try some pearl white as I am sure that will look better. The plastic (PLA) is not great with paint but I might try that too.

I'm also hoping to improve the design. The screws take 2g total and are only needed for the electrical contact. I'm pleased how well they work but not how they look.
Thanks.
Old 20th May 2015, 1:22 pm   #4
Station X

Well done for actually making something using a 3D Printer rather than just talking about it.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th May 2015, 6:03 pm   #5

Quote:
The plastic (PLA) is not great with paint
Halfords do a plastic primer that uses a very fierce solvent (Dichloromethane) to bind with almost any plastic, worth a a go.

Old 20th May 2015, 9:48 pm   #6
rolandg
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the tip about the primer. I will investigate painting, though finding a better colour plastic is my preference.

Also forgot to say that as the screws are 2g if I could optimise them out of the design, I would be able to make the head shell fuller (my current version is quite skeletal at the moment to save weight) and therefore more like the original.

I should also mention that at the moment I am by passing the valve radio/amp and using a modern amp module to drive the original speaker. I don't know the output of these modern ceramic cartridges but hopefully will be enough to drive the valve amp when I get it restored.
Thanks.
Closed Thread