UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 10th Feb 2015, 12:21 am   #1
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Replacement Dial Lights

I have successfully added a dial light to a clock radio - it used to have luminous dial, but that has since given up. I used an led slight strip, cut to size and wired with a smoothing cap and a resistor to the un-regulated rail of the radio. Works a treat. Worth considering if anyone has a dial light to replace. It gives a good even illumination, but you may prefer to use a slightly yellow filter to give it a more authentic colour.

As the led strip has a sticky back it just sticks where it is wanted.

For info the radio I modified was a 13RS273, Philips clock radio. Now looks wonderful and I can read the time in the morning.
Old 10th Feb 2015, 10:25 am   #2
Nymrod121
Nonode

Default Re: Replacement Dial Lights

Good to hear of this success story

I went through a similar exercise with a Sony tuner-amplifier whose festoon tubular lamps were either blown or well-blackened. I'd picked up some reduced-price cool-white LED strips (not the flexible variety) from Maplin which after trimming to length fitted nicely within the metal 'trough' at the back of the tuning scale:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...76&postcount=4

Best wishes
Guy
Old 12th Apr 2015, 11:18 am   #3
BottleMan
Tetrode

Default Re: Replacement Dial Lights

I added LED lights to my Eddystone 840C. I got the strip from Rapid and it was just the right length. I've run it off the heater circuit of this AC/DC radio and had to be careful with the fixing and support as it would be "live". Picture on demand if you want to see (PM)
Graham
Closed Thread