UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2008, 7:38 am   #1
Don Collie jnr
Retired Dormant Member

Default Electrolube No. 1 - a local solution

Greetings all!
I`wasn`t quite sure which catagory suited this request, but since this liquid is probably a "solution", I`ve placed it here. Some time ago while enthusiastically trying to clean a pushbutton switchbank in a Tektronix oscilliscope, I learned that all switch cleaners are not born equal. To my dismay, after spraying a copious quantity of a spray-on contact cleaner [whose brandname shall never be mentioned again] in order to flush out dirt and grime, the whole switchbank proceeded to fall apart in my hands. It was the WRONG cleaner. Now I always check the service manual to find the recommended cleaner first.
The recommended cleaning "solution" for the outfit I`m working on now
is Electrolube # 1. It seems to be unavailable here in New Zealand - how can I obtain some? There may be problems flying a spray "Bomb" 1/2 way round the world, so a non - aerosol solution to this problem would probably be
best. ;-)................................................. ..................................Don.
Old 18th Jul 2008, 10:40 am   #2
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: Electrolube No. 1 - a local solution

I've usually used CRC CO contact cleaner, and never had any trouble. More recently a friend in the repair industry recommended CO followed by 2.26 as a lubricant. 2.26 is hard to find, but I've got an equivalent available from Radcliffe Electrical - I can check the name of it if you like.

This is assuming that CO wasn't the cleaner you had problems with - but I've used it on all kinds of switches with no problems.
Old 19th Jul 2008, 2:50 am   #3
Don Collie jnr
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Arjoll, I can`t remember what brand it was. [The can got thrown a *long* way away], but it could have been CO. Tek were [are] innovators, and leaders in their field, I think, and might have used a promising new type of plastic in this switchbank. Their manual did say Isoproply alcohol, the stuff you *really* shouldn`t drink, so it was my own fault. Hence my request for the recommended switch cleaner [Electrolube # 1]. I`ll put the request in the correct column in a minute, sorry about that. I use CRC 5-56, although 2-26 *is* available here. I`m not sure that there is much difference between the two, but would be happy to be corrected on this. At some stage in the restoration process, I usuall wash the equipment I`m restoring in floor cleaner in the bath using - "Dual", or "Handy Andy" [these are brands that may, or may not, not be available where you are] No, I don`t actually get in the bath too, but usually wash each module separately, and then rinse in clean, hot water, followed by prolonged drying in quite warm, moving air. I liberally coat all metal parts in 5-56, and then remove the excess with a clean rag. The thin film that is left behind, inhibits rust, enables metal to slide on metal easily, and stops fingerprints appearing on plated surfaces. Seems to last for years. My very understanding wife lets me do some metalwork in the dishwasher, but I`m a bit cautious here, because those silicates are agressive. Sugar soap dissolves both dirt, and silver, so I don`t use it anymore. I`ve heard that the model engineers [ie : mechanical engineers who build models] degrease small engines this way, but that`s a bit distasteful to my way of thinking. Thankyou for your comments!,........................................ .................Don.
Old 22nd Jul 2008, 9:57 pm   #4
audiomm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Collie jnr. View Post
Hi Arjoll, I can`t remember what brand it was. [The can got thrown a *long* way away], but it could have been CO. Tek were [are] innovators, and leaders in their field, I think, and might have used a promising new type of plastic in this switchbank. Their manual did say Isoproply alcohol, the stuff you *really* shouldn`t drink, so it was my own fault. Hence my request for the recommended switch cleaner [Electrolube # 1]. I`ll put the request in the correct column in a minute, sorry about that. I use CRC 5-56, although 2-26 *is* available here. I`m not sure that there is much difference between the two, but would be happy to be corrected on this. At some stage in the restoration process, I usuall wash the equipment I`m restoring in floor cleaner in the bath using - "Dual", or "Handy Andy" [these are brands that may, or may not, not be available where you are] No, I don`t actually get in the bath too, but usually wash each module separately, and then rinse in clean, hot water, followed by prolonged drying in quite warm, moving air. I liberally coat all metal parts in 5-56, and then remove the excess with a clean rag. The thin film that is left behind, inhibits rust, enables metal to slide on metal easily, and stops fingerprints appearing on plated surfaces. Seems to last for years. My very understanding wife lets me do some metalwork in the dishwasher, but I`m a bit cautious here, because those silicates are agressive. Sugar soap dissolves both dirt, and silver, so I don`t use it anymore. I`ve heard that the model engineers [ie : mechanical engineers who build models] degrease small engines this way, but that`s a bit distasteful to my way of thinking. Thankyou for your comments!,........................................ .................Don.
CRC 5-56 should NEVER be used anywhere near electronics. CRC 2-26 is better, but CRC Contact Cleaner is the best option from that brand. However, the best cleaner of the lot is Caig's Deoxit D5 or Pro Gold. Both products are readily available in NZ through Trade Tech Products :
http://www.tradetech.co.nz/shop/Tool...+Products.html

Mike
Closed Thread