UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2022, 10:30 am   #1
Jan Zodiac
Pentode

Default Telefunken (Magnetophon) M24 service manual

Hello.

I am just about to finish restoration of my Telefunken M24. It was quite a challenge, since there is very limited space to work on, at least when it comes to the electronics. More than 50 capacitors were replaced...

Last thing that remains, is some minor brake adjustments, and then calibration.

This is where I am stuck. I can't seem to find a service manual anywhere. I tried downloading is from a few different online suppliers, but all I get is the schematic.

Does anyone know where I can get the full manual?

Best regards,

Jan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	256962   Click image for larger version

Name:	70.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	256963   Click image for larger version

Name:	71.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	256964   Click image for larger version

Name:	72.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	256965  
Old 11th May 2022, 10:53 am   #2
Analogue man
Hexode

Default Re: Telefunken (Magnetophon) M24 service manual

A decent looking machine which I have not seen before, I can't help with the calibration but it looks like a good job done thus far. It looks like a three motored machine, is this correct?
Old 11th May 2022, 11:47 am   #3
Jan Zodiac
Pentode

Hello Graham.

You are right, it has three motors. It think it was called a semi professional recorder. It is very heavy.

Jan
Old 12th May 2022, 10:49 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes unfortunately the M24 Service manual appears next to impossible to locate (assuming there ever was one).

This Forum link indicates that the M23 is basically the same machine with the M24 additionally having power amplifier output stage but the M23 Service manual looks also to be near impossible to find.

https://www.google.com/url?client=in...-Q2XMFbgV5OZWL

David
Old 12th May 2022, 11:56 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The major change on the M24 was the addition of servo back-tension. John R T Davies used three of these machines in his remastering set-up, back in the days when click removal involved scraping oxide off with a razor blade - happy days. They stood up well to twenty-plus years of hard service.
Old 13th May 2022, 8:14 am   #6
Jan Zodiac
Pentode

Yes, I think it will be equally difficult to find anything on the M23 as well. I don't know about the M23, but the M24 could be ordered without the power amplifier. I have a friend who has one, so I know that for sure.

I am not aware of other changes from the M23 to the M24, except for some mechanical improvements. I do think the M23 was standard full track though, but can't verify it. The M24 was standard half track, with full track being an option. Maybe the same for the previous model, I don't know.

I am sure a service manual was made for it. It seems very unlikely that Telefunken/AEG put out a semiproff. tape recorder without a service manual.
Hopefully something will turn up eventually.

Jan
Old 13th May 2022, 10:06 am   #7
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Of course they wrote a manual for it! I have one, but can't put my hand on it at the moment. Darned good machines, too - pity they never made a stereo version.
Old 13th May 2022, 10:55 am   #8
FIXITNOW
Octode

i have pdf of M24 its 17 meg send email address by PM if you want copy but it is in German
Vince
Old 13th May 2022, 10:07 pm   #9
Jan Zodiac
Pentode

Thank you very much Vince. PM sent. German is no problem for me at all.

Ted, I am very impressed by the build quality of this machine. I wondered why they never made a stereo version, since its production was in the stereo era. I will be using mine for a mono system from around the same time, so at least it will be in full use.

Regards,

Jan
Old 14th May 2022, 2:01 pm   #10
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I expect bulk and cost were the main reasons - the transport was certainly good enough. The Tandberg 6, Revox E36 and Ferrograph 422 were all in the market at this time, so it could be done, but the size and weight of the Telefunken mechanism put even the Ferrograph in the shade.
Closed Thread