UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2022, 8:30 am   #1
Gavin85
Diode

Default ECKO U29 brought back to life.

This set belonged to my mum's grandfather and had been sat in a cupboard for years.
Anyway, it was not working when I got my hands on it. My mum said it "had a problem with the sound".

I found that there was a lot of degradation of components and wiring internally. The cord for the tuning dial had snapped. Manipulating the condenser I was able to retune it, but the volume was pitiful.

Don't have any before photos unfortunately.

Summary of what I did.

- Replaced the more seriously degraded wiring.

- Repaired the tuning mechanism. I actually used 0.8mm² wire as it was almost the identical gauge as the original cord.

- Replaced all 4 valves with new old stock (kept the originals as spares). One had to be an equivalent valve (CBL31 for CBL1) and required a change of valve holder and rewiring underneath as a result.

- Calibrating the set was where things went awry, The ferrite rods were disintegrating when ever I tried to trim them with a screwdriver, and I had moved them to far out of position for the set to work.

I removed the shielding cans and to my delight, discovered the rods were reversible.

I was now able to re-calibrate the set. Interestingly, all but one of the rods are smooth bore with a piece of degraded cord inset. (I have since sourced threaded replacements that match the exact dimensions of the only threaded rod and I'm going to replace all the smooth bore rods with threaded rods)

- Fitted some replacement (modern) capacitors where required. Going to try and get some vintage caps to fit in the future though and keep it as authentic as possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EckoU29_2.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	256201
Click image for larger version

Name:	EckoU29.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	256202
Old 30th Apr 2022, 10:40 pm   #2
g4aaw pete
Heptode

Default Re: ECKO U29 brought back to life.

That's an attractive looking set.
Sounds like 'up hill all the way' to get there.
I take my hat off to you.

Is the waxy slightly to the left due for the chop, or is it hiding a replacement?
Old 1st May 2022, 8:53 am   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

These are nice little radios, I have 2, one black the other green. I did start restoring one of them, but the dropper was open circuit, never did get round to replacing it!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 3rd May 2022, 8:40 am   #4
Gavin85
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4aaw pete View Post
Is the waxy slightly to the left due for the chop, or is it hiding a replacement?
I have just acquired some modern replacement caps for the set. I'm thinking of replacing all the wax caps but leaving the mica ones alone as they all look in decent nick still.

It's actually now in bits as I'm giving it a clean up (not too vigorous mind you), renewing some pretty knackered wiring etc.
Old 3rd May 2022, 8:41 am   #5
Gavin85
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
These are nice little radios, I have 2, one black the other green. I did start restoring one of them, but the dropper was open circuit, never did get round to replacing it!

Regards
Lloyd
The dropper in this one gets seriously damn hot. I would like to replace it but haven't come across anything online as of yet.
Old 3rd May 2022, 9:15 am   #6
Cobaltblue

You could consider a capacitive dropper.

A substantial amount of heat could be saved just using a Diode in the heater circuit.

Anyway some food for thought available here:

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...per-calcs.html

Cheers

Mike T
Old 3rd May 2022, 9:31 am   #7
Gavin85
Diode

That's interesting! Thanks, I will look into that.
Closed Thread