UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2022, 9:28 pm   #21
Pamphonica
Nonode

Default Re: RetrotechUK 2022 - Sunday May 8th

To answer Andy’s question about what goes on the label. I normally put a number in one corner, but with space for a letter in front of it. I stick the asking price on the opposite corner. The buyers do not see any “offer” pricing, if any. That is kept hidden on the check in sheet. And used at our discretion. I sometimes also put a brief description of the item on the label including “working” if I can honestly say it is! I’ve shown a typical label below. Room for a letter to be added before the number. Hope this helps
Jeremy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	91E25257-002D-4597-A667-FB7B78E89E21.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	256514  
Old 2nd May 2022, 10:01 pm   #22
af024
Octode

Got it! Thank you Jeremy.

Kind regards,

Andy
Old 3rd May 2022, 7:54 am   #23
Stuart R
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd 1985 View Post
That’s not too bad, I’ll be coming in via Dunchurch and Southam, I know most of the roads there, as I usd to live in Daventry and worked in Leamington Spa. It’ll be nice to have a drive round again! A stop at The Dun Cow (or as we call it, The Moo!) in Dunchurch for dinner will be needed too can’t wait now!

Regards
Lloyd
We usually come up via the M1/A45/A425. The drive through Flore*, Weedon Bec and onto the A425 via Southam is lovely on a sunny Sunday morning.

I can't make it this year but hope everyone has a good time.

*Now bypassed - which isn't as pretty.

SR
Old 3rd May 2022, 2:52 pm   #24
telstar
Octode

Hi. Are there any minibus connections from the railway station to the event?
Old 3rd May 2022, 2:55 pm   #25
Paul Stenning
Administrator

No, that made a loss for the event the last few times so it's no longer being operated.

You should be able to get a taxi from the station.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th May 2022, 5:47 pm   #26
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
No, that made a loss for the event the last few times so it's no longer being operated.

You should be able to get a taxi from the station.
Hi. That is a terrible shame. Probably, I may not be able to get there? Taxis are not cheap either, and it depends on the amount of people (just like myself) that are trying to get to the event and back. I will see what I can do.
I used to frequent the event at Golborne when I was a BVWS member, but in that case taxis were a problem. Travelling by rail to Newton Le Willows was not a problem
Old 5th May 2022, 1:40 pm   #27
Reelman
Octode

If anyone is looking for a place to stay I believe the “Dakota” at Baginton just south of Coventry still has some rooms…. We are staying there Saturday night for the first time. More reasonable than local hotels and saves an uncertain journey from t’north on Sunday morning. No personal connection…

Peter
Old 7th May 2022, 6:19 pm   #28
Andrewausfa
Octode

Just a FYI: it seems there is a road closure on the Fosse Way coming down from Rugby between Princethorpe and the event centre. Looks like you divert to box off to Hunningham - Offchurch and back onto the Fosse Way.

Andrew
Old 7th May 2022, 7:12 pm   #29
Reelman
Octode

As already mentioned the Fosse closure directs you via Southam if you are coming from the North... follow the yellow "X" signs. However allow extra travel time if coming down the M69 and then A46 alongside Coventry since there are road works there as they build a fly-over.

Peter
Old 7th May 2022, 8:55 pm   #30
Reelman
Octode

If anyone from the forum wishes to say hello to my son and I on stall 149 they are welcome to a free old Hi-Fi magazine and a free 3.5mm stereo cable if they wish…. Don’t all rush at once! Don’t be shy

Peter
Old 7th May 2022, 10:06 pm   #31
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewausfa View Post
Just a FYI: it seems there is a road closure on the Fosse Way coming down from Rugby between Princethorpe and the event centre. Looks like you divert to box off to Hunningham - Offchurch and back onto the Fosse Way.

Andrew
See post #16. It shouldn’t add more than about 10 minutes to journey times.

Paul Stenning
Old 8th May 2022, 9:26 am   #32
Tazman1966
Nonode

On my way! See you all there!
Old 8th May 2022, 7:57 pm   #33
Ian B
Hexode

Fantastic day, great to have a catch up with so many people. I managed to sell the majority of my stall goodies (many at bargain prices admittedly). The car was great deal lighter on the way home.
Grateful thanks to all those involved in the planning and running of this wonderful event, let's hope for a repeat of something similar next year.

Ian Blackbourn
Old 8th May 2022, 8:43 pm   #34
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Indeed, an excellent day with a slightly different 'feel' from previous events. Can I say a huge 'thank you' to the stalwarts who were staffing the Bring & Buy stand? They not only managed to sell 80% of the items I brought in, but failed to persuade me to part with any of my 'winnings'! Consequently it was the first time I ended the day 'in credit' even allowing for the entrance fee, coffees and travelling costs.

I got the general feeling that there were more people attending, but fewer traders this year. It's been a while since I was actively acquiring vintage radios to restore, but I felt that a change has taken place over the past few years in the number and cost of 'projects'. There were lots of very nicely-finished fully-restored radios etc at high prices, and some cheapish basket-case sets that would only appeal to the heroic restorers, but relatively few in the middle ground that posed affordable sets for achievable restorations. I'm beginning to speculate that the majority of attractive, restorable vintage sets have by now been saved and restored by enthusiasts and are in good, safe homes.

The proportion of high-end audio seems to have increased too.

The only minor downside for me was the queueing times for meals and refreshments, but I'm sure that was outside the control of the BVWS.

All this is my own personal opinion, and nothing detracted from my enjoyment of the event. I'll definitely be back next time! Thanks to the organisers and I hope the BVW&TV Museum gets to benefit greatly.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 8th May 2022, 9:27 pm   #35
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I don’t know the figures yet but it certainly felt like a busy day with plenty of people around and staying much of the day. Even the early entry period felt busier.

The longer queues for refreshments also indicate the higher visitor numbers. Service in the restaurant was quick though so we weren’t queuing for long.. I don’t know about the coffee stall as I didn’t use it, but preparing individual drinks does take a bit longer.

There were less stalls unfortunately, we were missing the far side of the last row and the space under the mezzanine.

Still plenty for variety though, and some good displays with two different vintage television groups, a mechanical music society as well as the regular Brimar display and the BVWS centenary of broadcasting display.

I took a load of VHS tapes and some other bits and pieces for the bring-and-buy, for museum donations. I don’t know how much they raised but I’m pleased that everything went. The stall seemed to be busy all day.

Overall the day had a really good feel about it. The spontaneous round of applause when Greg announced the the show was now closed really shows how much it is appreciated and enjoyed.

Paul Stenning
Old 8th May 2022, 9:43 pm   #36
af024
Octode

Could I also please add my thanks? I had several items to get to the Bring and Buy stall and this required multiple visits from the car park to bring all items together for registration. This took me a while, and was beginning to wonder if I might be trying someone’s patience, but no, everyone was very understanding and it all went like clockwork.

As the day progressed, I was also pleased to see that items were being rotated and re-positioned when possible so that they could get an equal chance of being seen by potential purchasers.

I am very happy to say that nothing had to come back home with me.

I don’t think anyone there sat down all day - it was non-stop every time I looked. So well done everyone – absolutely fantastic!

Well done also to the organisers, dealers, and to those who managed the working displays. It takes considerable effort to do this and it really should not be underestimated. We only get to see these special things when enthusiasts share them with us, and let’s not forget, that there’s an element of risk involved here as things can get upset in transit or play up on the day – especially when they’ve been running for a good few hours. Just think of all the packing up, return journey and reinstatement back at base (all the things that we don’t see on the day!)

Keep up the good work everyone, it would be so sad if this event could not be sustained. It’s something to look forward to, and let’s face it, we all need some of that these days don’t you think?

Kind regards,

Andy
Old 8th May 2022, 9:44 pm   #37
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G4SPZ View Post

The only minor downside for me was the queueing times for meals and refreshments, but I'm sure that was outside the control of the BVWS.
Yes, but the best freshest bread buns by far, of any radio event I have attended in recent years. Well worth the wait.

I would like to say a big thank you to Greg and all who have helped making this such an enjoyable event. Anyone reading this who did not attend today really did miss-out!

John.
Old 8th May 2022, 10:03 pm   #38
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Quote:

Yes, but the best freshest bread buns

John.
Round hear we call them "batches". Mind you they're a bit posher in the south of the county 😀

Aub
Old 8th May 2022, 10:23 pm   #39
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 oldjohn View Post
Quote:

Yes, but the best freshest bread buns

John.
Round hear we call them "batches". Mind you they're a bit posher in the south of the county 😀

Aub
Round ear they make bread buns in batches!

John.
Old 9th May 2022, 12:18 am   #40
Reelman
Octode

Yes, a big thank you to all those involved in the organisation and execution of this fabulous event, it is greatly appreciated! We had a great day and were very pleased to meet the forum members who came to the stall.

The car was lighter going back but the wallet was fatter! Perfect.

Looking forward to next time.

Peter
Closed Thread