UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Apr 2022, 6:46 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Chronic interference from my next-door neighbours outside lighting.

A tricky one and I hope someone can advise me how to sort this one out.
The history-
About two years ago I started getting really bad sporadic interference on LW making radio 4 impossible to listen too. When the interference isn’t there I enjoy very good reception and enjoy very much listening to my collection of vintage radios. Most of which I have lovingly restored and have housed in a couple of out-buildings in my garden.
I noticed the interference was much worse during the summer and would be at random times, no pattern to it. I was at a loss to know where it was coming from until last winter when I noticed next door has set up a Christmas tree on the veranda of their summerhouse. Every time the lights were on, I got the interference.
I was now sure this was where it was radiating from because as soon as the festivities were over and the Christmas tree was gone all was good again and I could get back to enjoying radio 4.
It was too good to last, fast forward to spring and its back again; I took a glance at my neighbour’s summerhouse and could see new decking lights switched on. The crazy thing is, it’s a bright sunny day and they aren’t even in the garden.
This interference really radiates a long way I tuned a Roberts battery portable into radio 4 and I could still pick up the noise down the road many houses away!
I get on well with my neighbour’s, I haven’t yet spoken about the situation; I’ve got to tread carefully as he sufferers from anxiety and his wife can be a bit “prickly.”
Unfortunately my vintage radio hobby goes right over their heads, they simply don’t understand it and only interested in new stuff and obviously have no idea what’s happening my end!
I don’t have such lighting in my garden so I don’t know what kind of set up they might have that’s causing this problem for me.
Any suggestions how I can diplomatically approach the subject without upsetting them and getting the enjoyment of my hobby back again!
Thanks.
Old 16th Apr 2022, 7:23 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Chronic interference from my next-door neighbours outside lighting.

Obviously the first thing to do is have a friendly word. They're probably unaware that there's any problem. Offer to help them investigate.

It will probably help if you frame it as a general RFI problem affecting the neighbourhood, rather than an issue for your vintage radio hobby.
Old 16th Apr 2022, 8:22 pm   #3
The Philpott
Dekatron

Although you're 95% sure what's causing it, I suppose the diplomatic way is to pretend you're only 20% sure and are doing the rounds trying to track it down...but think that lighting is a prime suspect. (If you get an invitation presumably you can show up with a portable radio- it's very difficult to challenge direct evidence)

Quite how co-operative they are from that point on is questionable of course..
I believe the equipment may be ELV running somewhere in the region of 24-48v, and where the voltage is dropped... the interference originates.

Dave
Old 16th Apr 2022, 8:38 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Of course, a gentle approach to a neighbour regarding a problem they are causing is the correct thing to do before taking any further, more drastic action. I have recently been in a similar situation with a neighbour (nothing to do with radios) and despite our nicey nicey approach it has led to a face off and more, new 'aggro' from them. I'm not saying don't approach your neighbour, as it is the correct thing to do when done in the right manner, just to say that it doesn't always end up any better, and may even create more problems of a new kind. Just something to be aware of!
Old 16th Apr 2022, 9:23 pm   #5
Cruisin Marine
Heptode

The only way you will win this is to show them the noise on a portable radio and offer to buy them much better lights that cost a lot more.

People are greedy, offer them something far superior they can't refuse (show them the price). If they still do, you won't win whatever you do mate.

Make sure you have the miracle replacements to hand, don't let them think too long.

In fact buy them three sets, it is worth the expense, trust me.

If all fails build an X phase noise canceller type unit You will need a phasing unit and another small sense antenna though.
And make sure they give you the crap one's, tell them you will try to design a filter for them, then bin them

Last edited by Cruisin Marine; 16th Apr 2022 at 9:30 pm.
Old 17th Apr 2022, 9:51 am   #6
its ur aerial
Hexode

Surely as its interfering with your Radio reception, and assuming you have a TV licence, you could make a complaint to Ofcom.
Hopefully you will have more success with Ofcom, than members of the Amateur Radio fraternity do

Ken G6HZG.
Old 17th Apr 2022, 10:19 am   #7
Station X

They'll just tell the OP to listen on FM or DAB.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints/...radio-services

https://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 17th Apr 2022, 11:36 am   #8
paulsherwin

It's important not to be confrontational with neighbours if you can possibly avoid it. Don't say "you are causing interference and I'm going to report you to Ofcom", say "I think your lights are causing interference and am concerned that somebody might report you to Ofcom".
Old 17th Apr 2022, 7:15 pm   #9
McMurdo
Dekatron

The chip shop in the local high street does a similar thing, they have adorned the frontage with LED lights, signs etc. When driving past it completely obliterates both FM and DAB in my car. I can't imagine the reception problems from flats above the shops! Grey imports, no doubt.
Old 17th Apr 2022, 7:56 pm   #10
its ur aerial
Hexode

That's exactly the the issue, gray imports, fitted with non compliant switch mode power supplies, that radiate or worse can still can burst into flames.
Old 17th Apr 2022, 8:04 pm   #11
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

This sort of electrical noise wasn't only confined to the present day by any means, when I used to listen to Radio 2 LW on 1500m on a valve radiogram in the early 1970s at my late parent's house in Morecambe, with no internal aerial on this set, reception was completely blotted out by what I could only describe as "machine gun interference" of a totally continuous nature, starting between 8 and 9 am and going on every day until after midnight!

I never did find out the cause of this and the Radio Interference Branch of the GPO weren't very willing to assist either even in those days – they only suggested I get an FM set – when I did eventually get an FM equipped unit audio as a birthday present this noise even affected FM. but thankfully only faintly!

When I worked casually for the local TV repairman on leaving school this chap suggested it was probably line output stage interference from a television nearby, if that was so it's certainly surprising as nearly all radio interference from TV sets I was most used to was a whistle, not a deafening machine–gun noise!

Have any other Members experienced AM or LW interference as bad as that I described in the older days or more recent times?

Chris Williams

Last edited by Chris55000; 17th Apr 2022 at 8:17 pm.
Old 17th Apr 2022, 9:03 pm   #12
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
A very difficult position to be in. I have the same issue here and not only does it effect Medium and Long waves it ruins my hobby as a radio amateur on the lower HF bands. My next door neighbour has every gadget under the sun and although she is very nice she hasn't a clue that all that Chinese tat causes me grief. An X phase noise cancelling unit can't cope at all and my magnetic loop although a big help does not entirely remove the issue.
I've given up trying and just accept it's something I'll have to live with.
Old 18th Apr 2022, 7:26 pm   #13
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55000 View Post
when I used to listen to Radio 2 LW on 1500m on a valve radiogram in the early 1970s at my late parent's house in Morecambe, with no internal aerial on this set, reception was completely blotted out by what I could only describe as "machine gun interference" of a totally continuous nature
In the early to mid-70s I remember being plagued by similar sort of interference when I was very fond of listening for DX on the lower amateur HF bands. It didn't affect MW/LW broadcast as we were close to Droitwich. It arrived suddenly and though was intermittent would often go on for hours. Where it came from I don't know but it all but obliterated short wave reception. We only had one immediate neighbour, there was a field to the rear, and all services arrived underground, though there were some 132kV power lines not too far away. It got so bad I was almost tempted to give up ham radio but then moved away. I moved back to my folks a few years later and now licensed was very active on HF and VHF. In the intervening time the interference had gone and I had a very enjoyable few years operating.
Old 19th Apr 2022, 10:03 am   #14
GMB
Dekatron

We had this kind of issue from a faulty security light in the adjacent school. The interference was broad band from LF to UHF. We were still using analogue TV at the time so it was easy to see the nature of the interference (no chance now).

I did d/f at 500MHz and triangulated the exact position of the obviously faulty light - but the school refused to act without input from OFCOM so their engineers time was wasted driving 100 miles to confirm my results.

Quote:
and assuming you have a TV licence
You do NOT need a TV licence. OFCOM deal will ALL RF problems. In fact you should avoid mentioning TV to them. I made that mistake and it was nearly fatal - because for a TV you are now REQUIRED to have your TV aerial wired using double screened coax or they should just walk away. In my case I got lucky as the engineer could understand my RF measurements. But OFCOM accept complaints from any RF user. If it is TV then it may now be that the BBC pick up the bill and it is from them I think it was that the TV aerial requirement came.
Old 19th Apr 2022, 4:18 pm   #15
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
It's important not to be confrontational with neighbours if you can possibly avoid it. Don't say "you are causing interference and I'm going to report you to Ofcom", say "I think your lights are causing interference and am concerned that somebody might report you to Ofcom".
I totally agreed Paul, there is no way I would fall out with my neighbours over this by being confrontational, I'm monitoring the situation. If it gets more regular I will have to approach them and explain what's happening in a gentle calm way and hope they are sympathetic!

Many thanks for all the suggestions and similar stories from members, it seems not an uncommon problem!
Old 19th Apr 2022, 5:49 pm   #16
paulsherwin

My next door neighbour is doing up his house, and he was using a power tool yesterday that was intermittently wiping out FM reception in my kitchen, so it happens a lot. If it keeps on happening I'll have a friendly word - most people are OK about these things.
Old 19th Apr 2022, 7:13 pm   #17
RichardGM
Pentode

I don't know whether, since Brexit, the UK Regulations implementing the EMC Directive have been replaced by equivalent regs, different regs or none. When we were in the EU and the EMC Directive applied, it had a significant difference from some others. Whereas those applied to anyone placing the relevant products on the market (which included not only selling them but giving them away or providing them in exchange for something other than money), the EMC Directive also applied to putting equipment into service, and therefore to the person using it, whether it had been supplied commercially or was home made. However I don't know how far that regime was enforced, or by whom.
Old 19th Apr 2022, 10:43 pm   #18
GMB
Dekatron

The EMC directive effectively lives on in the UK.
And no, very little enforcement has ever happened, especially to individual installations.
Old 20th Apr 2022, 3:03 am   #19
Refugee
Dekatron

We have one who is not liked much locally. The house is decorated with Christmas lights all year. The place gives off more than just electrical emissions however we will have to stick to the electrical ones.
Tempt me to take my cheap Tesco radio down there. It is far enough away that the noise is below what we get from the overhead power cables.
Old 20th Apr 2022, 6:32 am   #20
Viewmaster
Hexode

Falling out with a neighbour is the very last thing to do !!!
If you ever tried to sell your house and relations with
neighbour was bad you would have to declare this and so make your house
rather unsalable.

I've always said, if you live at John O Groats, then your best
neighbours live at Lands End.
Closed Thread