UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Feb 2022, 2:26 pm   #1
oldbury863
Triode

Default HiFi Engine

Hi, has anyone else found it impossible to download a manual from this site now?
I have used it successfully in the past but now I get the follwing message every time: (I have tried Chrome and Firefox)

"Proxy Server/VPN Service
154.47.116.3 (psi-net.com)
Sorry but downloads are not possible from cloaking services such as proxies and VPNs.
Please use a standard internet connection to continue."

Cannot contact the site owner either!
Any help appreciated.
Old 18th Feb 2022, 2:38 pm   #2
sortedradio
Heptode

Default Re: HiFi Engine

I just tried it and had no problem downloading a manual.
Old 18th Feb 2022, 2:45 pm   #3
Goldie99
Heptode

As far as i'm aware, HiFiEngine blocks access via VPNs.
Old 18th Feb 2022, 3:50 pm   #4
oldbury863
Triode

I'm not aware that I am on a VPN (!) but this problem has only occurred since I've gone onto fibre broadband.
Just tried using my mobile instead and not getting the error message on that.
Old 18th Feb 2022, 3:57 pm   #5
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbury863 View Post
Im not aware that I am on a VPN (!) but this problem has only occurred since Ive gone onto fibre broadband.
Just tried using my mobile instead and not getting the error message on that.
Are you using your mobile connected to your BB WiFi or are you using the mobiles 3/4G connection?

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th Feb 2022, 7:34 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

Might be a daft question, but how does it know you're using a VPN? Isn't it just blocking IP address ranges that are not from the UK?

Cheers

Aub
Old 18th Feb 2022, 8:30 pm   #7
OldTechFan96
Octode

I've been having trouble uploading manuals to HiFi engine. I'm not sure what the issue is.
Old 18th Feb 2022, 8:51 pm   #8
Nuvistor
Dekatron

That IP address appears to be registered to YouFibre Ltd Cheltenham, if thats your provider I would contact them.
https://www.youfibre.com/
Old 18th Feb 2022, 11:06 pm   #9
JonSnell
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post
Might be a daft question, but how does it know you're using a VPN? Isn't it just blocking IP address ranges that are not from the UK?

Cheers

Aub
Your VPN tells the receiver that you, for instance, are in the USA or China. The receiver cannot marry up your old IP address that has your region details to the new IP address that a VPN gives you, usually at random. The service that you are using cannot recognise the address and kicks you off.
I am using EE on wireless and I have to log in most everytime to contact some of my clients because they use a secure server that does not recognize my address.
Old 19th Feb 2022, 3:32 am   #10
Maarten
Dekatron

Sounds like a badly implemented security measure or possibly an attempt to steer clear of (cookie) legislation. If the provider does indeed use some kind of proxy, it's useful to complain about that, but since that's only half of the problem, I'd complain with the site owner as well.
Old 19th Feb 2022, 7:17 am   #11
(awty))
Triode

It's to prevent band members (Broken Records) from using a proxy to reregister and accessing the forum and getting access to manuals.
If you haven't been banned, then just don't use a proxy server or VPN.
If you've been banned forever walk the earth as the unworthy.....or just get someone else to download for you. Most manuals these days are available elsewhere.
Old 19th Feb 2022, 9:40 am   #12
Nuvistor
Dekatron

It would be interesting to see what the ISP has to say, various thoughts come to mind but all speculation, best to get the correct information.

As for HiFi engine insisting on no VPN downloads, I see it as their prerogative, it's up to them what the rules are.

The ISP may be able to configure a bypass, but again it's their network and they may insist all traffic is treated the same.

Oldbury863, if decide to query your ISP, it would be good know their response.
Old 19th Feb 2022, 11:15 am   #13
Aub
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aub View Post

Cheers

Aub
Your VPN tells the receiver that you, for instance, are in the USA or China. The receiver cannot marry up your old IP address that has your region details to the new IP address that a VPN gives you, usually at random. The service that you are using cannot recognise the address and kicks you off.
I am using EE on wireless and I have to log in most everytime to contact some of my clients because they use a secure server that does not recognize my address.
So if you hadn't already registered and you're using a VPN, it would think you're in China, USA , etc and you'd register as a new user in that country, assuming all other criteria for membership were met? Not sure why you'd want to do that though.

Cheers

Aub
Old 19th Feb 2022, 2:36 pm   #14
wireman
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnell View Post
I don't think so, they just want to ban people using VPNs or ISPs that don't meet their 'requirements'. If you search for VPN on the website you get this as the first hit and it reveals what they are blocking...

https://vinylengine.com/turntable_fo...?f=36&t=117073

(I'm assuming vinylengine has the same policies).
Old 19th Feb 2022, 11:58 pm   #15
knobtwiddler
Octode

Hi-Fi Engine totally forgot my account. Whether I entered username or email, it said 'unrecognised user'. I just re-registered with the same email and name (this minute) and I am back in! (I last went in there a few weeks back, so it didn't delete me due to lack of use!)
Old 20th Feb 2022, 7:30 pm   #16
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvistor View Post
Has for HiFi engine insisting on no VPN downloads, I see it as their prerogative, its up to them what the rules are.
Exactly the same goes for the ISP. Without knowing the exact reasons, for all we know both are accidentally misconfigured or being equally silly/pedantic so it does make sense to approach the solution from both sides. Don't forget the internet is meant to be accessible.

Edit: the thread brought up by wireman, suggests its a technical issue on the side of vinyl engine. They seem to work with manually/periodically updated block lists based on IP ranges, which only makes sense if they want a good amount of extra work and user complaints, not if they structurally want to deny access to very specific people or groups of people. As a rule of thumb as a sysadmin, when a technical solution inconveniences valid users, even when it's their prerogative to implement such a solution, one should go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Maarten; 20th Feb 2022 at 7:45 pm.
Old 20th Feb 2022, 8:29 pm   #17
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
As a rule of thumb as a sysadmin, when a technical solution inconveniences valid users, even when it's their prerogative to implement such a solution, one should go back to the drawing board.
That’s reasonable.
Old 24th Feb 2022, 7:29 am   #18
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Quote:
Might be a daft question, but how does it know you're using a VPN?
Good question. I once tried to access BBC Iplayer whilst using a VPN, the site knew I was using a VPN which was configured as London Docklands at the time not Katmandu or Ulan Baku.

Andy.