UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2022, 4:47 pm   #81
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Oiling a Grundig TK20 and capacitor choices

Have got my TK 20 # 2 down from the attic to power up and check to see what it is like volume and hum wise for a comparison to yours.

It needs some re-assembly and a new belt, cannot remember if it has ever been powered up so may have some capacitors to replace first.

David
Old 16th May 2022, 7:49 pm   #82
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The re-assembly work on my TK 20 is fairly extensive and would make the various waxy paper capacitors much more difficult to access, so plan to replace most of the capacitors (most of which the black/dark brown Wima capacitors are almost guaranteed to be leaky) before reassembly work.

This is not a 5 minute job so will take some time before can get it powered up for sound assessment.

David
Old 15th Jun 2022, 2:04 pm   #83
JohnM73
Tetrode

Will be interested to read about your outcome with it. I’ve put this project to one side now and will take another look in the autumn and cooler weather days again. It’s definitely too loud even on the first volume mark on the dial (i.e. the mark between 0 and 1). Perhaps that’s why the hum is more obvious on turn on, there’s too much gain.

Yes it’s an absolute pig to replace all the caps. Good luck with your TK20.
Old 15th Jun 2022, 2:53 pm   #84
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Like most of my new and ongoing projects this is in a very large pending list, waiting for some appropriate spare time, will get to it sometime.

David
Closed Thread