UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 12th Mar 2022, 5:11 pm   #1
G4_Pete
Hexode

Default HRO capacitor gearbox repair

With a spare part gear wheel extracted from a gearbox donated by Wendymott I have managed to repair an HRO cast gearbox type variable capacitor. Repair summarised on the pdf file attached.

Pete
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HRO Capacitor Rebuild.pdf (388.4 KB, 102 views)
Old 12th Mar 2022, 8:18 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: HRO capacitor gearbox repair

Lawrence.
Old 13th Mar 2022, 2:35 am   #3
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Interesting, useful, thanks. I may one day get around to overhauling my HRO drive and 4-gang. The latter was sprayed with the stuff used to prevent corrosion in the tropics, and ~80 years on, it looks.... very grotty? Not sure how easy/hard that stuff would be to get off; "if it ain't bust don't fix it" may apply.

B
Old 13th Mar 2022, 6:08 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

I'd had a look in the attic, remembering, I thought, two HRO gearboxes.

Ha! Close but no cigar.

One was grey painted but had the Muirhead name cast into the lid. The two output shafts were just stubs, quarter inch diameter.

The second one had the National logo on the lid and was a genuine HRO gearbox casting, but inside it had double reduction with plain pinions and anti-backlash plate gears giving a single output at the rear.

Both had the right input shafts and eccentric bush for the velvet vernier knob/dial but neither was a real HRO gearbox. I'd bought them as examples of how variations got played on a theme.

I'm still wondering what each was used in.

Of course, the HRO had James Millen behind it, and he founded a mechanical parts for radio business in his own name. But it's branded National.

David
Old 13th Mar 2022, 11:54 am   #5
ms660
Dekatron

PW drive's were available separately, the straight through drive was the NPW-O and the one with two stub shafts was the PW-O, the National 1-10 VHF receiver used the latter type.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread