UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2021, 3:05 pm   #1
6SN7WGTB
Hexode

Default The 3/16" standard jack - power in

On my Nombrex 31 RF SG there is a socket on the back which the instructions describe as for external power...

"using a standard 3/16" 2-pole concentric jack plug"

In the absence of a battery (which the external power will disconnect when plugged in) I used a 3.5mm plug to apply external power.

This worked fine bar NOT disconnecting the battery connections - not surprising as it's too small to make the disconnect.

So, I tried to source a 3/16" plug so that I will have the correct disconnect of battery.

A Neutrik 4.4mm is too large, which puzzled me as 3/16" is over 4.75mm and so I would have expected it to be ideal.

Using a hole gauge or drill blank does show the socket to be more like 3.6mm.

Bit baffled. It's a red plastic socket in a zinc-plated surround, clipped in to the case. It's nothing like any sort of 3.5mm socket I've seen. I see no sign that it isn't original, as the slight surface corrosion matches the front aerial sockets.

Does anyone have a suggestion? I'm loath to change it so as not to spoil the originality, and will simply disconnect the battery if I need ext power.
Closed Thread