UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jul 2006, 10:57 pm   #1
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Default Bush VTR103 Plessey cap renovation

Right, I know I'm sad/mad but as this is such a popular radio and if, like mine, those red and black Plessey electrolytics are all leaky there might, just, be somebody who finds this useful

Firstly remove that horrible sticky label thing and with a sharp knife cut the cap in half. This isn't as easy as it seems because there is an aluminium ring to cut through as well!

Once cut in half the innards are easily removed. Cut the old 'legs' off and drill small holes through each of the alloy rivets. Drill slowly to stop the rivets getting too hot and spinning in the plastic!

Simply put a new axial cap inside and superglue the two halfs together.

I printed my image onto paper, stuck it around the cap with Pritt stick and then, simply, wrapped a piece of sellotape around it... OK I know it's not perfect but it looks alot better than just putting new ones in, It costs nothing and, really, doesn't take long to do

I've attached an image that covers all the values for the VTR103, just make sure the image is 4.5cm X 6cm before printing

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pleassy.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	4508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plessy Caps1.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	4510  
Old 12th Jul 2006, 8:49 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush VTR103 Plessey cap renovation

Excellent, David. The sort of thing I like to do.
Old 12th Jul 2006, 3:50 pm   #3
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Glad you like them Mike. It was, of coarse, you who got me doing it in the first place! (can't decide which one to use)
Old 12th Jul 2006, 9:09 pm   #4
af024
Octode

Well done David - they look certainly look the part. I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who likes to do this sort of thing - I'm still dipping caps for England in boiling wax on the kitchen stove ...

Well done that man!!

Regards,

Andy
Old 12th Jul 2006, 10:16 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Another brilliant job, Dave.

Just a suggestion, but next time, I'd use something other than Sellotape, which tends to yellow and drop off after a few years.

The self-adhesive clear film sold for covering books can be cut into strips, and seems much more stable.

Nick.
Old 12th Jul 2006, 10:53 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist
Just a suggestion, but next time, I'd use something other than Sellotape, which tends to yellow and drop off after a few years.
Yes exactly! just like the original gooey sticky thing

In all honesty I could have made a much better label but it still looks 100% better than just putting 'modern' caps in... and it keeps me occupied

David
Old 13th Jul 2006, 5:37 pm   #7
af024
Octode

There's also CIR 16mm clear splicing tape (if it's wide enough). Now that's more stable than the film. Derann Film Services, Dudley have loads of it.

I like the idea of originality though, so maybe Sellotape is just the ticket as you say!!

Cheers,

Andy