UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 29th May 2008, 4:50 pm   #1
ray@roberts
Retired Dormant Member

Default Restoration of a 1934 Roberts M4

Having owned this radio for a year I have bit the bullet and started to restore it, my first "proper" restoration.I am initially replacing all the rubber coated wire which has cracked and hardened. Fortunately, a stall-holder at the NVCF was selling similar wire (probably silicone covered) so I am able to keep the appearance appropriate to its age. I have encountered two lengths of lead piping in the chassis containing the three wires from the frame aerial. They are 8mm overall diameter and 4mm internal and I am unable to pull the old wires through but if I were, I think that it would be almost impossible to get three new wires back through them again. Has anyone any suggestions how I could use the old piping again or, alternatively, what I could use as a sympathetic alternative? It's not seen unless the chassis is removed but I should like to keep the restoration in keeping with the age of the radio.

Thanks for any assistance or advice that anyone can give.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roberts m4 008.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	17508  
Old 29th May 2008, 5:27 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Restoration of a 1934 Roberts M4

Copper piping is available in narrow diameters (8mm?) for gas fire connections etc, and comes finished in gold, silver and "antique" finishes too. You could rub down bare copper and spray paint it grey.

Look here and search for "gas fire tubes": http://www.bes.co.uk/

I might have a short offcut I could post you.

Nick.

Last edited by Darren-UK; 14th Nov 2008 at 1:16 am. Reason: Font reset to default.
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 9:28 am   #3
ray@roberts
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the advice Nick. If I can't get any further with the original lead piping, your suggestion seems by far the easiest option.

All the best

Ray
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 1:36 pm   #4
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

maybe possible to slit open the lead ?Its soft enough to cut with a stanly knife carefully
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 2:23 pm   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

All a bit crude I suppose, but could you not put the new wiring in some heatshrink tubing then paint the said tubing a suitable shade of grey? You could apply and shrink one bit of tubing, then apply one or two more pieces on top of that to give a thicker appearance like the original lead.

Perhaps that just wouldn't look right but it'd be quick and easy to do.

Incidentally, is there any real need for the tubing to be metallic?
Old 2nd Jun 2008, 11:02 pm   #6
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

If i waned the set to be as it was in the 30s then i would retain the lead . If that didnt matter , then anything modern would be much better to use
Old 4th Jun 2008, 9:16 am   #7
ray@roberts
Retired Dormant Member

I have assumed that the lead shielded the aerial cables from electrical interference from the other componants within the chassis. Is this a correct assumption?

Thanks

Ray
Closed Thread