UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Apr 2019, 9:24 pm   #1
ex seismic
Heptode

Default Command Receiver, odd mod.

This receiver has had the coil pack changed as shown. A professional coil set but not professionally installed. There is a hole hacked in the tuning capacitor cover and something has been altered in there as well as the coil change. It has also lost the audio output transformer but I suspect that is not relevant.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060853.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	181119   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060854.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	181120  
Old 10th Apr 2019, 7:23 am   #2
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: Command Receiver, odd mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex seismic View Post
This receiver has had the coil pack changed as shown. A professional coil set but not professionally installed. There is a hole hacked in the tuning capacitor cover and something has been altered in there as well as the coil change. It has also lost the audio output transformer but I suspect that is not relevant.

Any thoughts?
I've got the CQ Magazine "Command Sets" book and amongst all the various mods published over the years there's nothing like that! It was popular to use the MF set, the BC-453 (IIRC), for a "Q-Fiver" to improve selectivity on another receiver so maybe that's a possibility. I have a scrap set here which might have the AF transformer, will look later.

Cheers

Roger
Old 10th Apr 2019, 8:45 am   #3
ex seismic
Heptode

Thanks, Roger. This, or was, a 6-9.1 MHz set. In good cosmetic condition but also missing the dynamotor shock mounts although the dynamotor itself is also in very good condition.

Gordon
Old 10th Apr 2019, 9:09 am   #4
Keith
Heptode

My ARC5-R26 (3-6Mc/s) receiver had something very similar fitted. It converted it to MW! I'm pleased to say that I have now re-installed its correct coil pack.
Old 10th Apr 2019, 11:16 am   #5
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
My ARC5-R26 (3-6Mc/s) receiver had something very similar fitted. It converted it to MW!
There is a cartoon on the front of an early Radio Bygones showing a 1950s radio 'shack' that includes three Command receivers on a shelf, successively labelled 'Home' , 'Light' and 'Third' - one pre-tuned receiver for each of the three major BBC wireless stations. Could it be that some enterprising manufacturer offered the necessary coils for this sort of conversion? The coils in the photo look custom-made on a single paxolin shaft of the correct length.
-Peter G3PIJ
Old 10th Apr 2019, 3:43 pm   #6
G3PIJpeter
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3PIJpeter View Post
There is a cartoon on the front of an early Radio Bygones showing a 1950s radio 'shack' that includes three Command receivers on a shelf
Here it is. There are many other recognisable items in this period piece.

- Peter G3PIJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RB xmas 1989.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	181175  
Old 10th Apr 2019, 4:39 pm   #7
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

Nice, one on 3rd, one on Home, another on Light
Old 10th Apr 2019, 4:43 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I remember an article in an early-60s magazine (PW) about how to convert a Command-receiver for use as a fixed-tuned car radio - which included changing the coils. The idea being that you could then stick the converted radio somewhere convenient (and where the dynamotor whine wouldn't be noticed) rather than having it noisily take up space on/under the dashboard.

Perhaps someone made a coil-set for this?
Closed Thread