UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2007, 9:40 pm   #81
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: New book: 'Vintage Radios'

My copy arrived today and I am most impressed, as has been said a great selection of the "ordinary" and affordable sets that most of us own are featured and not just the MGs, Jaguars and Ferraris of the radio world . Plenty of valuable information that will take many hours of bedtime reading to digest, I'm sure this book will be seen as another of those essential "bibles" on the subject, just as Jonathan Hills' "Radio! Radio!" has been for years. I was a little confused by the Perdio at the top of page 100 being described as "c. 1960, model unknown" with a "1 star" rating, then the same set appearing on page 103 correctly identified as a "Perdio PR110 Grosvenor, 1964" with 2 stars . ( I have one of those! ). Still I'll give the book a score of 12 out of 10, I'm sure it will sell well and do much to perpetuate this fascinating hobby of ours. .

Regards, Mick.
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 12:03 am   #82
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: New book: 'Vintage Radios'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickjjo View Post
I was a little confused by the Perdio at the top of page 100 being described as "c. 1960, model unknown" with a "1 star" rating, then the same set appearing on page 103 correctly identified as a "Perdio PR110 Grosvenor, 1964" with 2 stars .
Yes, I spotted that little error yesterday. I also spotted a set described as bakelite when it is obviously wood, but I can't remember which one (this is probably a publisher error with the wrong caption for the picture).

I think a few of the star value ratings are wrong (mainly in the * and ** area), but values are so variable that they can never be more than a general guide (as Tony himself says).

These are very minor points though, and are inevitable in the first printing of a book of this scale, especially when written and compiled by just one person.

I am about half way through reading it (just finished the history and onto the theory) and so far I am very impressed. The information is concise and sufficiently detailed to satisfy the casual reader without getting bogged down in excessive detail. The separate boxed pages on specific subjects help to break things up nicely and allow the main text to stay focused. The repair and restoration info will probably be at a similar level, which is exactly right for this book.

I see the book as being a good general introductory work, to give people enough information to get them interested and started. For those wanting more information there is Radio Radio for history, Chas Miller's book for electrical repairs, Andy Emerson's book for restoration, and (if they are still in print) Radio Art and Bakelite Radios for colour pictures.

I hate big heavy books (like some of the computer software ones that are almost 2" thick). Tony's book is the right size and weight for comfortable bedtime reading.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 10:37 am   #83
Aerodyne
Octode

Mia Culpa. Explanation (sort of): One or two errors are bound to appear in a compilation such as this (he says, grovelling). Bear in mind the process: dozens of contributors, some of whom offer their opinions on value of their sets, some who don't: hundreds of pictures, varying greatly in quality and physical form: an editing process best described as 'one-shot' because there's only one shot at getting it right, viz: the copy including every processed photograph is sent to the publisher. Each picture and each caption is coded for identification. Returned is a photocopied version of each book page - not good quality, monochrome too. Hard to read! Dozens of errors found: one of mine, the rest down to the book designer (repeated images in wrong places, wrongly attributed captions, hundreds hundreds of spelling errors and so on. The corrected scripts sent back with no further opportunity for amendment. It would have been miraculous if no errors had been found in the final book, but I knew there'd be some. I know of three or so up to now but I haven't found the one Paul mentions about the confusion of Bakelite and wood. I'll take a look. I'm sure there'll be more errors found but hopefully no really big ones. As far as value ratings go, most these days are anyone's guess and enormous variations seem to be occurring. A watching eye on the well-known web auction site will reveal that, for example, very comparable DAC90A's go for widely varying prices, so it is nigh on impossible to provide an accurate figure. I based my 'guesses' on figures given to me by contributors plus auction house prices plus guides such as Miller's Collectables. I wasn't keen on putting any sort of guide pricing in place but the publisher wanted it!
I'm very pleased that the book, despite any small shortcomings, is being read and enjoyed. It makes the effort worth while. My thanks to all who have so far bought the book and would recommend it to those who are wavering!
-Tony
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 4:36 pm   #84
Aerodyne
Octode

Nick asked:
Quote:
P.S. Is the Decca 77 on p.39 the very same one that I now have in my garage (obtained from Andy "Setsappeal" a year or so ago)? If yes, then my radio's famous . If not, then the grille and knobs that I thought were out-of-character replacements might be Decca's originals after all .
If the 'Andy' is Andy M, the same one who read my early draft of the book text (very helpful, too) then YES, your set is the very same one - but to be sure, you'd need to contact Andy yourself, best I think by PM. For a while I wondered if it was one of my own photos but that turned out to be a '66' (the Decca one, not the ice-cream version, of course). Apologies for lateness of reply.
-Tony
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 5:40 pm   #85
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodyne View Post
.... but I haven't found the one Paul mentions about the confusion of Bakelite and wood. I'll take a look.
Bottom of page 58. The caption is for Philips 186A which refers (though it doesn't say) to the photo to the left and says "Bakelite cabinet" yet the photo looks like a wooden cabinet set to me. I don't know whether it's a 186A or not though.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 22nd Aug 2007, 7:43 pm   #86
Aerodyne
Octode

Well spotted, Paul. My original caption is incorrect - Trader 770 has details of the Philips 170A (on the same page in my book, above and to the right of the 186A -and it is definitely a 186A). The 170A is, as you can see, housed in a Bakelite cabinet but there is a corresponding Mullard set, the MAS 281, which uses a wooden cabinet. The same chassis is used in the Philips 186A which uses a wooden cabinet. The two captions have somehow become mixed up. The really annoying thing is that the 186A was a relatively recent restoration of mine, as you can tell... I hope...!
-Tony
Old 24th Aug 2007, 3:48 pm   #87
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Finally got around to it - it's on its way.
Old 29th Aug 2007, 1:27 pm   #88
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I just got it yesterday, and even a cursory look through the book told me that everyone involved in the subject ought to get a copy!

Well done indeed, Tony.
Old 29th Aug 2007, 4:25 pm   #89
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I agree Mike. Got mine today. Apart from the quality, it's a different mix of the technical/history/design/collecting advice as well as the great set illustrations. There is even a section on Chermayeff's set designs and he was one of the joint Architects of the Art Deco De La Warr Pavillion in Bexhill 1936 [p160]. Dave
Old 6th Oct 2007, 10:35 pm   #90
avro
Heptode

I have been on the move to Nicosia. My copy arrived last week and it is perhaps "The Best" vintage radio book I have bought.

Excellent!

BVWS member
Old 6th Oct 2007, 11:29 pm   #91
chipp1968
Rest in Peace

I must order one , I keep forgetting
Old 7th Oct 2007, 8:12 am   #92
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Read it right through now; a permanent addition to my (ever-increasing) bookshelves.
Well done, Tony!

Chipp - hurry up, as they'll become 'collectibles' soon.