UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Dec 2018, 8:11 pm   #1
Angelique
Retired Dormant Member

Default JRC NRD-525 receiver

Hallo my name is Angelique. I am a swl from Holland, and my English isnt very good.
In the past (About 20 years ago) I bought myself a used NRD-525 which performed very well for about 15 years. After being in stock for about 7 years, I decided to start over with my swl addiction. But after turning the rx on I found out there is a problem. The s-meter flips from 0 to 5 and the squelch led keeps going on and off. When I turn the agc control off it stops. If I turn pbs at about 10 past 12 it also stops.
Does anybody known what the problem could be?
73 Angelique.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 3:25 am   #2
Damien VK3RX
Tetrode

Default Re: JRC NRD-525 receiver

Hi Angelique; your English is faultless

I had one of those receivers some years ago. I also bought mine used, and on arrival it had an odd fault, but I cannot remember exactly what.

The cure was to in turn remove each plug-in board, wipe it's contacts with something like DeoxIt F5, then plug the board back in and out a few times.

Others here know more about the electronics of the radio than I do, so may have better ideas. Given it's sat for 7 years, it's feasible a capacitor or two in the AGC circuit have become leaky.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 10:21 am   #3
Barraman
Tetrode

Yes, cleaning the contacts on the plug in boards is the first step.

JRC provided a pair of levers to gently raise each end of the board through the small holes in the top. You probably won't have those, but 2 small bladed screwdrivers would do the job. Then carefully remove the boards by hand.

Hopefully, cleaning and re-seating the boards will do the trick. Further servicing is not possible without an extender board.

Richard
Old 12th Dec 2018, 10:28 am   #4
Station X

Angelique. I can supply you with a copy of the full service manual if you don't have it.

As Barraman says working on these sets without an extender board is very difficult. My set has suffered an intermittent squelch problem for years for that very reason.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 12th Dec 2018, 4:38 pm   #5
Angelique
Retired Dormant Member

Hello all. Thank you very much for the help. I will try to clean the contacts from the prints coming weekend. I will let you know of it solved the problem, if not I will bring the rx to a specialized shop .

@Station X thank you for offering ( so kind ), but when I bought this RX it came with all the manuals and even with a parts list, but it has no use for me because I am not a technician LOL.

Thank you very much and I will let you all know how this ends.

Best 73, Angelique.
Closed Thread