UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Nov 2018, 7:49 pm   #21
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Past Royal Institution Christmas Lectures

In some cases, contractual terms may have affected the ability to show repeats. I remember reading that the contract covering the original TV production of "1984" (featuring Peter Cushing and the scene with rats that led to questions in Parliament) only allowed a single repeat and for the copy to be lodged with the National Film Archive. Likewise the BBC were forced to withdraw from sale cassettes of the late Alexis Korner's radio broadcasts after his family found that his original contract with the BBC had similar provisions.
Old 28th Nov 2018, 8:03 pm   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Re post 20* [here] I think you expressed admiration for RV Jones in the £50 thread Kevin. I presume you know that he appears within the BBC Secret War series from 1977? So secret that I didn't spot it at the time

Dave
Old 29th Nov 2018, 12:20 am   #23
McMurdo
Dekatron

Yes, it's been uploaded to youtube (presented by William Woolard). Another example of sensibly-produced scientific material issued before the dumbing-down era. It's nice to see the RI lectures talking to youngsters without much condescension, and interesting how the over-simplification slowly creeps in as the programmes approach the present.
If you watch the late 60's lectures, they remind me more of an FE course at college than a programme for children. Maybe they were all cleverer then! By the late 70's some of the kids in the audience are showing signs of distraction, playing with their fingernails, etc. Like the best physics teachers, the odd explosion had them looking to the front again.