UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2018, 8:56 am   #21
spoontex
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Long Wave interference problem solved.

Great.

Many thanks!!
Old 30th Nov 2018, 9:51 am   #22
MrBungle
Dekatron

I wouldn’t bother building a mains filter. Aside from the danger if you do it wrong or someone else comes across your creation, you can buy perfectly good ones integrated into IEC sockets or standalone for series wiring for £5-10 on RS. A decent set of X-Y capacitors and a common mode transformer is going to cost at least the same.

The main thing with the IEC ones is they are integrated into the chassis which means there is no opportunity for the noise to get in (or out!) before it gets into the device. The trailing lead variety isn’t quite as good.

Look for RS part number 2192785 for example.

Also don’t forget to replace your X class capacitors every decade or so. They are consumables and like to catch fire (I had a non RIFA one go the other day)
Old 19th Feb 2019, 9:32 pm   #23
ekjdm14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Also don’t forget to replace your X class capacitors every decade or so. They are consumables and like to catch fire (I had a non RIFA one go the other day)
RIFA in my B&O 8802 filled the lounge with a delightful cloud just before Christmas, not bad for 36 years old though and the stench got the kids out of there for a couple of days
Old 20th Feb 2019, 12:08 pm   #24
Andrew2
Nonode

It's worth taking a look at Surplectronics website. I got some IEC filters very cheap.

https://www.surplectronics.com/products.asp?cat=23
Old 21st Feb 2019, 7:37 am   #25
G4YVM David
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
It [•••] The lab at work has just had to be re-wired with twice as many, smaller rings, each with a separate RCD, not because of the total power consumption, but because of the amount of L-E leakage in filter Y capacitors of a large number of pieces of low power gear.

David

Blimey. I think every sentence in that post held something I'd never heard of. I'll get me coat. 🙄

Seriously, a very well composed post. I'm not being sarcy.
David