UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2018, 11:15 am   #161
martinpinner
Hexode

Default Re: Dansette Bermuda MK II ??

The tracks are now not connected. No continuity but an open circuit.
Reading on pin 9 is now 3.46 volts.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 11:24 am   #162
Station X

What is the DC voltage across the 100k resistor? ie one meter lead to each end of the resistor with the power on.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 11:46 am   #163
martinpinner
Hexode

96.7 Volts. The last few times when the power is on it is very crackly with a metallic noise that goes away after a few minutes!!.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 12:28 pm   #164
peter_sol
Octode

Either there is a short to earth (ground chassis) on pin 9 or the valve is faulty disconnect the 100 k resistor from pin 9 and check voltage connected and not connected may have a conductive PCB
Martin it will be easier if you fault find logically as this is going on and on very slowly.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 12:52 pm   #165
ms660
Dekatron

With the 100k resistor connected and the grid coupling capacitor and tone control capacitor still disconnected it might be a good idea to check the voltages on all the pins of the UCL82 again (except pin 5) this time use pin 4 as the reference point for measuring.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 3:45 pm   #166
martinpinner
Hexode

I shorted the circuit in the house for the second time this week
I must have had wires/components touching again when I switched the power on.
I have blown a circuit breaker and the board needs to be replaced .
I am out of action at the moment and not see if I will continue with it.
Let you know when I am connected
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 8:17 pm   #167
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinpinner View Post
I have blown a circuit breaker and the board needs to be replaced.
Wow! Even I've not managed to destroy a consumer unit.

Old 4th Mar 2018, 1:24 pm   #168
martinpinner
Hexode

My neighbor is an electrician and just fitted a circuit breaker - I now have sockets upstairs again. I have made the assumption that I might have had some wires or components touching that may have shorted the circuit as the PCB board and controls are not fitted but loose. However,I am not sure if anything made contact if it would cause this to happen. This was the second time this week it has happened. I am therefore worried that it might be something else and unsure whether to switch it back on. I have just noticed that with latest one I had the probe attached to the chassis but inadvertently put it in the 10A slot of the meter - not sure if this would have given the problem.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 1:31 pm   #169
Station X

Quote:
My neighbor is an electrician and just fitted a circuit breaker - I now have sockets upstairs again. I have made the assumption that I might have had some wires or components touching that may have shorted the circuit as the PCB board and controls are not fitted but loose. However,I am not sure if anything made contact if it would cause this to happen. This was the second time this week it has happened. I am therefore worried that it might be something else and unsure whether to switch it back on.
If your neighbour is an electrician he should have the necessary test equipment to test your installation and should have done so before replacing a circuit breaker.

If you are worried about turning the supply back on, then I suggest you have a qualified electrician check things before you do so.

Quote:
I have just noticed that with latest one I had the probe attached to the chassis but inadvertently put it in the 10A slot of the meter - not sure if this would have given the problem.
Having the test lead in the 10A socket would have effectively put a short-circuit across the meter leads. Depending on where you put the probes, this could have caused the circuit breaker to trip.

Old 4th Mar 2018, 1:39 pm   #170
martinpinner
Hexode

The 10A probe(black) was attached to the PCB chassis and the red probe in the VMA
Old 4th Mar 2018, 2:44 pm   #171
Station X

When measuring voltage the meter, which will have a very high resistance, is connected directly across the circuit being measured, for example a battery. The meter's high resistance means that very little current is drawn from the battery.

When set to the 10A range your meter will have a very low resistance. For this reason it is connected IN SERIES with the circuit being measured. For example battery positive to meter positive lead, through meter, meter negative lead, lamp terminal, through the lamp filament, other lamp terminal, meter negative lead and back to the meter.

If you connect a meter on the 10A range across a supply capable of supplying a lot of current, then the fuse in your meter will blow and any other protective devices such as circuit breakers may trip.

It is rare to measure current when restoring a vintage record player. Far easier to measure the voltage across a resistor, which will give an indication of the current flowing.

Old 4th Mar 2018, 3:10 pm   #172
martinpinner
Hexode

Thanks for the explanation. The meter fuse did not blow just the circuit breaker.
It was probably my error that caused it but still a little hesitant about switching on.
If I do I will come back with the readings that had been requested before it happened.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 3:18 pm   #173
Station X

A direct short circuit across the mains should trip the circuit breaker, not blow it.

If you shorted the mains within the player, the 3A fuse in the mains plug would probably blow before the circuit breaker tripped.

If a new circuit breaker has been fitted I don't see that it would do any harm to plug in your player and switch it on. The worse that could happen is that the circuit breaker would trip and you'd have to reset it.

What concerns me is that you may have an unrelated fault with your house's mains wiring and it's that which caused the circuit breaker to "blow" rather than trip.

Old 4th Mar 2018, 4:44 pm   #174
dalgwcobl
Pentode

I seem to remember that some Garrard auto-slim changers of that era had an overarm which you could 'park' at the back of the deck to make it easier to load single records on the short spindle. You lifted it up then swung it back towards the rear and down again. This enabled the changer mech to return to off at the end of the record. Can't remember which models did this, but I certainly remember this feature. Dynatron actually used a modified (by Garrard) model 6300 changer on which you could lift up and remove the overarm completely. On the model HFC32 it was fitted to, you couldn't shut the lid with the overarm in place - it came in a separate carton, for playing a stack of records.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 2:13 pm   #175
martinpinner
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
Either there is a short to earth (ground chassis) on pin 9 or the valve is faulty disconnect the 100 k resistor from pin 9 and check voltage connected and not connected may have a conductive PCB
Martin it will be easier if you fault find logically as this is going on and on very slowly.
Pin 9 with 100K resistor disconnected is -1.0 volts and when connected 3.40 Volts.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 2:16 pm   #176
martinpinner
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
With the 100k resistor connected and the grid coupling capacitor and tone control capacitor still disconnected it might be a good idea to check the voltages on all the pins of the UCL82 again (except pin 5) this time use pin 4 as the reference point for measuring.

Lawrence.
Measurements are:
Pin 1 1.31 Volts
Pin 2 19.90 Volts
Pin 3 19.30 Volts
Pin 4 -0.00 Volts
Pin 6 222.00 Volts
Pin7 99.00 Volts
Pin 8 1.18 Volts
Pin 9 3.40 Volts
Old 5th Mar 2018, 2:43 pm   #177
ms660
Dekatron

You need to find out why both control grids have a +ve voltage on them, it could be the valve or it could be some other form of leakage. If I was investigating this I would remove the UCL82 and connect it's heater only, by using a couple of croc clip fly leads or whatever, then measure all the voltages on the valve holder again.

Lawrence.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 3:12 pm   #178
martinpinner
Hexode

Quote:
96.7 Volts. The last few times when the power is on it is very crackly with a metallic noise that goes away after a few minutes!!.
This is coming from the can housing the capacitors.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 3:35 pm   #179
martinpinner
Hexode

Are the heaters are on Pin 4 and 5.
Old 5th Mar 2018, 4:56 pm   #180
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

The heaters of all B9A (9-pin) valves are always pins 4 & 5. To measure the voltage present , your meter should be set to a suitable AC voltage range
Closed Thread