UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Feb 2015, 7:55 pm   #1
Aaamusements
Pentode

Default Servis Type 789043 electric motor from - ?

Not sure what this is from - whether it's twin-tub era or more modern washing machine?

Can't find any reference to it on tinternet.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	103869   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	103870   Click image for larger version

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	103871   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	103872   Click image for larger version

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	103873  

Last edited by Aaamusements; 8th Feb 2015 at 8:02 pm.
Old 8th Feb 2015, 8:21 pm   #2
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Post Re: Servis Type 789043 electric motor from - ?

Hi,
It looks like a high speed spin dryer motor so, probably, a twin tub or, maybe, a stand alone spinner. One pulley drives the drum and t'other drives the pump.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 8th Feb 2015, 8:29 pm   #3
Aaamusements
Pentode

Default Re: Servis Type 789043 electric motor from - ?

That makes sense, thanks.

I will test it when I find some odd bits of suitable wire and the quick test connector.
Old 8th Feb 2015, 8:38 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Servis Type 789043 electric motor from - ?

Hi,
Be very careful powering it up off load. It's liable to achieve a speed of over 20,000 rpm almost instantly! It could cause serious injury if it rips itself out of the vice, or takes off from the bench. If you have a means of applying power slowly with a variac, that will be a bit safer. You may find that it will start to turn with as little as 30 volts on it.
Cheers, Pete.
Old 8th Feb 2015, 11:25 pm   #5
Aaamusements
Pentode

Thank you for the warning. It's a fairly compact thing so I probably wouldn't have anticipated that!

I can probably find an AC transformer with a 50 volt output to try it with?

Other than powering a spin dryer, are there any useful applications for such a thing if it works?
Old 9th Feb 2015, 1:34 pm   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

It might be more use driven backwards as a dc generator. It does have a convenient pulley attached.........
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Feb 2015, 3:13 pm   #7
julie_m
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
It might be more use driven backwards as a dc generator. It does have a convenient pulley attached.........
If it runs from AC, then it won't have a permanent magnet, but an energised stator -- most probably in series with the armature windings. That kind of precludes using it as a generator
Old 9th Feb 2015, 11:01 pm   #8
Herald1360
Dekatron

It's probably just a series wound dc motor with laminated iron to make it usable on ac. With a bit of luck it should self excite. Making a suitable control box could be interesting....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Feb 2015, 11:02 pm   #9
MrElectronicman
Heptode

As stated above, be very careful when applying full voltage to a series wound motor without any sort of load.

Many years ago now, my Dad had one of these from a Servis spin dryer put it in a vise and attached a grinding wheel to it. When he applied full mains the motor took off like a rocket, screamed like a banshee, and the wheel shattered, badly cutting his cheek. He was lucky that it was not his eye.

I only found out a few weeks later when I was over on a visit, and I really gave his a telling off, so much so he binned the motor straight away.
Old 10th Feb 2015, 10:53 am   #10
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Smile Re: Servis Type 789043 electric motor from - ?

Hi,
My late brother did exactly the same thing with the drum motor from an automatic washing machine. It scared the out of him!
Cheers, Pete.
Old 10th Feb 2015, 8:45 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Unloaded, these kind of motors will instinctively wind-up to infinite RPM in search of the stable point where the back-EMF matches the forward excitation-voltage.

They can produce a fearsome jumps-out-of-teh-vice-and-thrashes-around-on-the-workshop-floor torque at zero-RPM, too.

Beware!
Closed Thread