UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Dec 2018, 1:56 pm   #1
Supermatic-61
Diode

Default Derwent Television Company

Dear All,

I am not sure if I have posted this in the correct section but thought I would give it a go.

I am trying to find out some more information on a television rental company that was based in North Street, Guildford, Surrey in the 60's/70's - I only remember it being referred to as "Derwents" this is where my nan use to work as a shop manager Mrs Morgan. She retired in 1978.

I know its a long shot but it would be great to hear from anyone who remembers the shop etc.

Kind Regards
Keith
Old 10th Dec 2018, 3:01 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Derwent Television Company

There's quite a bit of information here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=364668
Old 10th Dec 2018, 6:21 pm   #3
Supermatic-61
Diode

Thanks - I did checkout that thread, there is limited info on Guildford branch.
Regards
Keith
Old 11th Dec 2018, 11:50 am   #4
bileaflet_valve
Tetrode

Hi Keith,
In 1965-66 I worked in an architects' office just off the intersection of High Street and North Street, Guildford. I am sure Derwent was in one of the two shops in the High Street marked "?" in the attached Street view image, and would surely have had a High Street address. They usually had a large colour TV in the window, simply showing colour bars from a pattern generator (colour broadcasts had not yet begun, so it was probably just an appetiser). A fashion shop called "Rayne" occupied the end position under the brick facade where Ryman is now. Weir Rhodes was there as now. I cannot remember the other shops on this parade except that a shop called Dowdeswell's occupied one of them. Hope this helps.
Les.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Derwent.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	174363  
Closed Thread