UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2021, 2:24 pm   #21
knobtwiddler
Octode

Default Re: King Tubby on Radio 4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QhDtlFmiS2U

I think that Meek / Emerick at al innovated in terms of techniques, whereas Tubby and crew's innovation was more in terms of manipulating gear in realtime. Of course, this is a generalisation. If you look at the way Jammy is working the faders in the above link, that is what I mean. I haven't seen many people outside of the reggae/ dub world doing that.
Old 1st Feb 2021, 8:50 am   #22
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Quote:
If you look at the way Jammy is working the faders
this'd be when mixing down to a master tape? I heard it took about 30 people or more on the mixing desk to mix down Dark Side, the days before automated desks. Still, dub may be a bit different because the producer is really "playing" the mixing desk rather than setting levels at X point in time.

Andy.
Old 1st Feb 2021, 1:03 pm   #23
knobtwiddler
Octode

If I recall correctly, Dark Side was mixed using quadrant faders! I'm not sure how they would've taken to Jammy's mixing technique! I once met a chap who made Quadrants for P+G... He said he was glad to see the back of them, as they were not fun contraptions to assemble.

Not sure if they did it this way in Kingston, but I know that for making extended disco mixes, producers in NY would typically mix to 2-track master in the same way as Jammy, live on the desk. They would then listen back to a 40-minute mix, noting locate points for the best sections. They would then don block and blade, making a compendium of the best sections. No room for error!
Old 1st Feb 2021, 9:56 pm   #24
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobtwiddler View Post
Not sure if they did it this way in Kingston, but I know that for making extended disco mixes, producers in NY would typically mix to 2-track master in the same way as Jammy, live on the desk. They would then listen back to a 40-minute mix, noting locate points for the best sections. They would then don block and blade, making a compendium of the best sections. No room for error!
For the ones I've transferred I think they just pushed a chinagraph pencil against the head at each edit point while the tape was playing. There are plenty of edits in some 12" mixes.
Closed Thread