UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Dec 2020, 10:01 pm   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Missing "New Posts"

When I look at "New Posts", I see lots of threads, but not the ones I'm active in? Any thoughts please?

B
Old 24th Dec 2020, 10:42 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Missing "New Posts"

Your own posts aren't shown. The software assumes you've seen the things you've posted yourself.
Old 24th Dec 2020, 11:20 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I often use the find all my posts / OPs in the "statistics" tab of my profile to catch up on anything I've contributed to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	statistics.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	223116  
Old 24th Dec 2020, 11:33 pm   #4
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

This problem seems to be happening even when there are a number of posts by other people after my last one. I have only noticed the last 2 days; maybe I am a bit stressed and making errors of some kind .

B
Old 25th Dec 2020, 1:18 am   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

For me this appears to be normal/commonly happening, for Threads that I post to, I seldom see subsequent newer posts by other people showing under "New Posts".
Old 25th Dec 2020, 7:27 pm   #6
Aub
Nonode

Yes, I've also noticed this recently. I find the posts by doing an advanced search using my user name.
Not a great problem, if a little annoying 🙂

Cheers

Aub
Old 25th Dec 2020, 7:32 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

You can click your name in the welcome box at top right, click the statistics tab, and then 'find all posts by'. Three clicks and you get a listing of your output in reverse chronological order. I find it quite handy.

David
Old 25th Dec 2020, 8:24 pm   #8
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
You can click your name in the welcome box at top right, click the statistics tab, and then 'find all posts by'.
David
Yes, that finds all your own posts, but my usual log-on strategy is just to go to "New Posts" as a catch-all, to find all new posts, irrespective of whether of not they are in threads you've contributed to.

But it does seem now as if some people are finding that New Posts is failing to show any new post to a thread to which they've been a participant.

B
Old 25th Dec 2020, 10:58 pm   #9
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Missing "New Posts"

I use Mozilla Firefox with Windows 7. I have 2 bookmarks for this forum. One is a general bookmark - takes me to the main forum page; the other takes me to my posts or threads.

For producing that last bookmark, do this:

►Log in to the forum.
Go to 'Community'.
Find you member name in that list.
Double click it.
Go to 'Statistics'.
Create bookmark.

You can re-name that bookmark to something like 'My Forum Posts' so that that bookmark is different to your general forum log-in bookmark.

►Now test that bookmark.
Make sure that you're no longer logged into the forum.
Using FF, find that bookmark which FF has saved.
Click that new bookmark.
You should then be automatically logged into the forum with the option of looking at your posts or threads.

Al.
Old 25th Dec 2020, 11:55 pm   #10
Radio Wrangler

Clicking on your own name in the welcome box saves having to trawl through pages of alphabetical names, so it's a useful trick to know, but if you're doing it only once to create a bookmark, then the benefit is limited.

David
Old 26th Dec 2020, 12:05 am   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
You can click your name in the welcome box at top right, click the statistics tab, and then 'find all posts by'.
David
Yes, that finds all your own posts, but my usual log-on strategy is just to go to "New Posts" as a catch-all, to find all new posts, irrespective of whether of not they are in threads you've contributed to.

But it does seem now as if some people are finding that New Posts is failing to show any new post to a thread to which they've been a participant.

B
For me personally I am fairly sure it has always been like this since I first started looking at "New Posts" several months ago, with just the very occasional New Post being seen for a Thread that I had previously Posted to.

David
Old 26th Dec 2020, 6:19 am   #12
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Well, I've just found this thread under new posts, and there indeed 3 posts since my last post, and that is as I always found it worked in the past.

Maybe I'm just getting old?

B
Old 26th Dec 2020, 11:59 am   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I can see your post above in "New Posts" but this is rare, I will keep looking to see if any more show up.

David
Old 26th Dec 2020, 12:06 pm   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

After sending my post 13 I no longer see Bazz's Post 12 under "New Posts" I guess this is because "New Posts" only shows the current latest New Post per Thread. I do not see my Post 13 under "New Posts" but understand from previous Posts that this is normal/correct.
Old 26th Dec 2020, 12:38 pm   #15
mhennessy
Dekatron

My shortcut to get to this forum is this:

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...n&folderid=all

This shows me all the threads I've ever contributed to (or manually subscribed to, which I rarely, if ever actually do). Threads with unread posts are bold, others are normal weight (though if you ignore threads with unread posts, they go back to normal weight after a week, IIRC). It's essentially variation of your UserCP - https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/usercp.php - which is what I originally had bookmarked until I noticed the "View All Subscribed Threads" link at the bottom of the list. Sometimes it's handy to re-check threads I've contributed to, even if there have been no new posts.

Once I've had a look at those, then I click "New Posts".

If I did ignore any of the subscribed threads with new posts (in bold), then they do appear in the "New Posts" search, which suggests the forum functionality is working just fine.

The link above will work for any logged in forum member, and can be bookmarked in whatever way your browser works. I find it useful, and do something similar for all other forums that I'm a member of, but appreciate that we're all creatures of habit and have our own preferences. But it should help the OP, hopefully.
Old 26th Dec 2020, 12:49 pm   #16
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Nothing has changed with the forum software or hosting, so however it is working now is unchanged from how it has always worked.

It is probably useful discuss how it behaves if you use the feature, but there is no fault to fix and nothing will be changed.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 26th Dec 2020, 4:16 pm   #17
Trigon.
Hexode

Looking at cookies on my machine I notice under vintage-radio.net there are what appear as 5 pairs of duplicate cookies, under two versions of the hostname - vintage-radio.net and www.vintage-radio.net.

These are:-
  • IDstack
  • vintageradiolastvisit
  • vintageradiolastactivity
  • vintageradiouserid
  • vintageradiopassword
Each has the same content as its pair, except vintageradiolastvisit.

A further two cookies (vbulletin_collapse & vintageradiosessionhash) only appear under www.vintage-radio.net.

No idea if this is significant, probably a red herring, but it seems odd?

Cheers
Old 26th Dec 2020, 6:11 pm   #18
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I have e-mail alerts for replies to my subscribed threads - mostly this is ones I've posted to or started. It's a useful reminder, especially when a thread's not been active for a while.
Old 26th Dec 2020, 10:29 pm   #19
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes already do that.
Closed Thread